Do you clean your grinder right after you use it?

KenRC51

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm very new into grinding my own beans right before I make coffee. I only grid enough to make one cup (6tbs beans). I'm using a Burr grinder. Do I need to clean the Burr every time I grind? What do you guys usually do?

BoldJava

Jul 29, 2006
St Paul, Minnesota
Visit site
Ken,

I have a Macap grinder. There is no need to clean after every use. My routine is:

* Every 4 months or so, take it apart - watch your thread directions. Mine screws on counter-clockwise
* Use a shop-vac to get residuals out of all the nooks and crannies.
* Use a clean cotton cloth to wipe down the areas I can reach.
* Take a toothbrush to get the stray grinds from the threads.
* Reassemble

Some folks use a soft grain product called Grindz on a more consistent basis and bypass the disassembly. http://www.amazon.com/Grindz-Tablets-Single-Grinder-Cleaner/dp/B0027DVML4

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Also, your cleaning schedule will fluctuate depending on frequency of use, and especially the roast level of beans used; daily grinding of dark/oily beans will bump up the schedule a lot.

The other factor in how often I clean mine is a highly refined career of laziness, but that's a story for another thread.

KenRC51

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys. But would having some residue remainds left inside the grinder ruin the taste of the new batch your brewing? For me I never taste a difference. Probably is because there's so little from yesterday's grind mixed into today's grind

MillCityRoasters

Jun 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
It sort of depends on your grinder and your palate. For cupping different coffees in succession, we normally purge the grinder with a small amount of sacrificial beans to prep the grinder before each batch. I usually do the same to purge stale grounds when I grind for pourover or drip and espresso shots. All my espresso grinders are timed/doserless, so a quick pulse is all it takes.

I guess it also depends on how much coffee you have too. We roast a lot relative to our consumption; the amount of waste we generate purging our grinders is relatively unnoticeable.