Your experience traveling to source coffee

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello! Anyone here ever traveled to origin to source coffee, learn, or simply vacation that would like to share their story/experience?
Are you planning on doing so, and if so what is your plan?

Did you investigate multiple farms/famous farms?
Did you explore an area looking for hidden "gems"?
Tour guide/friends?
Did you visit alone?
What was your overall experience?
Recommendations for someone traveling to origin for the first time?

I am planning on going to Guatemala (where my family is from) and sourcing coffee, looking for some additional info to expand on my plan.

Thank!

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
My plan is a basic one right now, have not done much research yet I will begin doing that tonight.
I was born and raised there until the age of 7 but in the capital. My family comes from multiple parts
of the country and has farmed coffee and sugar cane to sell to trucks that would pass by the roads at
the end of the week while preparing the rest for the home. With this they have given me some stepping
stones as to where to begin.
I will visit Huehuetenango where my uncle is from and look for small family owned and operated farms, I will
take into consideration their fields location, knowledge, yield of coffee, dedication, current coffee status as
far as taste and their process from planting to processing. With all that in mind and farmers personality + goals
I will select a farmer to begin working with to develop a relationship, paying higher than the going rate to support the farmer
and aid him in farm improvement. I plan on visiting high end farms to learn from and bring the ideas to them while
helping them all improve with knowledge and finances. The beginning might be all losses financially but it is not only
my goal to become financially stable with just the coffee business, but to instead help the farmers from my country create the best coffees in the world while helping them raise their kids and the communities kids with a better future.
I have two relatives who worked for AnaCafe in Guatemala who I will also be contacting for support on this project.

That is all I have for now, nothing is set in stone and a lot will change as I do my research and learn from others on here.

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Awesome thank you guys, I will finish some more research and then ask away, that way I'm not asking a million questions that are already answered online. Any of you guys ever done a trip like this or considered it?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Awesome thank you guys, I will finish some more research and then ask away, that way I'm not asking a million questions that are already answered online. Any of you guys ever done a trip like this or considered it?

after this harvest and export sales arrangement is over (end April more or less), I will have more time. So, if any of forum members want to come to Guatemala and see and experience how everything works, let me know. Last year, Michael (Watventu is his forum name) came with me to Guatemala for two weeks. He had a blast!

of course, I won't charge you anything. you just pay your own ways, hotels, foods, airfare...etc. you will just come along with us (of course, i provide transportation) and experience what we do, visiting farms, cupping, roasting, ...etc. we will not charge you anything because we will not specifically take our time or make special schedule to teach you for the things that you want to know specifically, but you can learn from our guys & gals how to roast, cup, barista work...etc. as long as you are nice and helpful and genuinely good person, we will love you have you in Guatemala.

Latest posts