Thoughts on coffee to water ratio

A.Nunez

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone. First off I hope this question is in the right forum and is not answered in another thread. I tried to do my best to find the right forum and answer before posting but I had no luck.

So to start off, I have been dabbling in coffee for quite a few months now and I am still tormented by something. What is a good coffee to water ratio for V60 pour over or pour over in general? I have searched all over the internet in a quest to answer my question. I have seen too many variations to find the answer I am looking for. I adapted what I thought is a good ratio, but I still want a straight answer. Basically I have been using the formula Xozx1.7g(coffee)= Dose. ex. (12oz water:20g coffee). I take the 12oz and put it in a unit converter and would pour 340g water over 20g of coffee. Does this sound right or am I doing something wrong? I'm very meticulous about my coffee and would like to get it down to a science for consistency cup to cup.

So, what are your thoughts?

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Normally when we talk about coffee per cup is about .7 oz of ground coffee per typical 1 cup of water. Now I absolute hate brewing that much coffee in such small amount of water (8oz) I typically put about 12 oz of water per .7 oz of coffee. That works well for me.

Kilowatt

Feb 1, 2015
Podunk
Visit site
The "rule" varies, depending on now your like your coffee. I appreciate your scientific approach, using weight rather than measurement, but I have never had the discipline to be that precise. That said, here is my take.

For pourover, and using standard measurements, I use 1-2 tablespoons of ground coffee (depending on roast and grind, they might weigh different amounts) per 6oz of water for a brew. If you use less coffee, you risk over-extracting, more, and you risk under-extracting. Keep the amount and temperature of the water consistent. Find the sweet spot for your palate, then weigh the coffee if you want absolute reproducibility.

Hope that helps!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
First off, I despise the idea that water should be weighed. So what if the volume changes when it's heated? The change is so infinitesimal, that anyone who says they can taste it is either a liar or has a very good imagination. If it's more convenient to you to weigh water, that's great. But measuring out 14oz. of water in a graduated beaker then pouring that into my kettle saves some nonsense, for me at least.

Secondly, with a pourover like the V60, the variability of the flow-rate of your pour will affect the outcome so greatly, that there will be no fool-proof water:coffee ratio. IOW, you could use the same ratio every time, and get three different results from three different brews. That will be less true when using paper filters than a mechanical filter such as a Kone, because the paper will balance out your pour somewhat.

Kilowatt gave sound advice. Try to remove all the variables, other than the amount of coffee, and brew to your own liking.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I do not agree with you here peter.
when you are using pour over, if you are using about the same amount of water vs coffee ratio, I can make 10 cups with very close result. So for you to say it will have different result is also none sense.

But agree with the use of paper filter but that will give you even worse flavor if it s bleached paper so I do not like using that white bleached filters vs clothe or other none chemical treat filters.

There are many different ways to brew your own cup of coffee. If you like measuring and weighing everything to brew your coffee, I am all for it. If you measure and weighing everythhing to brew your coffee each time, I am sure you will have more consistent flavor of coffee. But you also need to master the technique of brewing as well. I have my own ways to brew my own coffee I dearly love and you will have your own ways. Don't let anyone tell you "THE WAY YOUR BREW COFFEE IS WRONG" There is not a wrong way of brewing your coffee as long as you enjoy it.

A.Nunez

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
peterjschmidt I feel you on the water loss factor. What I do is boil more than what I pour since I prewet my filter and heat my mug all with the same water. I then actually pour 1-2oz more than what I am aiming for to acount for water loss in the grounds and overall coffee pour. Ex. If I want a 12oz cup of coffee, then I'd adjust for a 14oz cup of coffee. Haha I have a mild case of ocd so I always have to be spot on with what I'm doing. As of now I want to repeat the same results in coffee and water so I can work on technique more.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I do not agree with you here peter.
when you are using pour over, if you are using about the same amount of water vs coffee ratio, I can make 10 cups with very close result. So for you to say it will have different result is also none sense.

You just made my point; you most likely have a very consistent pouring technique.

The idea I was trying to convey is that water:coffee ratio is important, but when other variables such as pouring technique and flow-rate of the filter and/or filter holder enter into the equation, there are other factors that will influence the cup.

For example, take a person that knows little to nothing about coffee. Give him the coffee:water ratio, a scale, and a kettle to heat the water. Ask him to brew a cup with a french press. He can do it ten times in a row. Give the same person the same ratio, scale, and heat the water to the same temp, but ask him to use a Chemex or V60 mated with a Kone. Until he learns to pour at the correct rate, with good technique as well, you'll have widely varying cups.

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site
Hi, Peter. I'll weigh in (pun intended) on what I've learned about the water/coffee ratio for a pour-over. I'm one of those mildly OCD people - although I think of myself as simply somewhat anal - who measures the weight of water, etc.

We all know that: at sea level, at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, and assuming no mineral content, water weighs 8.345 lbs/gal. But that's not what we want to know regarding a pour-over. For that, we use this:

20 grams coffee (.705oz)
300 grams water (10.144oz)

That's the the ratio I found online and the one I use. However, certain adjustments must be made. For example, to derive a 10.144 oz cup of coffee I've found that I must pour 12 oz of water at 205 degrees to allow for water lost to the paper filter and grounds. And by by adhering to this ground rule (another pun?) I think the only variable a person would have to deal with would be steeping time to achieve your desired result. :)

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site
I just use a regular Clever Dripper with unbleached #4 cone filters. Nothing special about it. I do find that different coffees (blends) produce slightly different grind results with the grinder at a constant setting. I attribute the difference in taste to the difference between blends (naturally) but some blends clog up the filter more than others, altering steep time requirements.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I just use a regular Clever Dripper with unbleached #4 cone filters. Nothing special about it. I do find that different coffees (blends) produce slightly different grind results with the grinder at a constant setting. I attribute the difference in taste to the difference between blends (naturally) but some blends clog up the filter more than others, altering steep time requirements.

That wasn't a trick question, but I thought I recall that you use a CCD, which isn't a true pourover; it's more of a full-immersion brewer, and as such is easier to hone in on a good water:coffee ration than a true pourover where the coffee is flowing out, which makes the pour rate and technique much less critical.

Now, go light up that Fuente Churchill, like the good 'ol boy that you are. :)

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site
So then, if I understand correctly, what you're referring to as a true pour-over would be like a Melitta? I have one of those but gave it up because there's no way to control steeping time.

I guess I'm missing your point. In my defense, however, it's still early in the morning and I haven't had my full quota of coffee yet. :)

Edit: MMmmm, yes. The more I think of it.... Yeah. Breakfast. A full tummy, more coffee, sunshine, a fine cigar. What could be better?? Thanks for the idea, Peter...... :)

Last edited: