Coffee when traveling

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering what you guys do for coffee when traveling. I often take off for a week or to at a time. Now that I'm enjoying my morning coffee ritual I'm wondering what to do when on the road.

I can take most of what I need without a problem but I'm thinking taking my grinder would be a bit much.

Thanks

beanwagon

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Make it a coffee adventure and research the places you are going. Try to find the best roasters and cafes and visit them. Could be inspiring! Just be ready for anything. If you have bad luck, it will just make you appreciate what you have at home that much more.

Nucer

Aug 6, 2014
Benbrook, Texas
Visit site
I always ask at the front desk where there is a good coffee shop. Sometimes I get lucky but more often I am disappointed. It is part of being a road warrior.

(use to bad coffee on the road)

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
interesting question.
for me, I do not carry around special coffee making equipment when I travel, mainly because I like to travel light. and sometimes I go for 3 weeks to a month at a time, so it is essential to pack very compact.

normally, I research where the great coffee shops are and what they specialize in before I visit a city. (like when I was in Hong Kong 3 weeks ago, I visited about 8 out of 17 best coffee shops in entire Hong Kong, Kind of hobby and profession of mine. I posted most of photos in this forum few weeks ago).

however, when I go to China and stay away from busy downtown, I even carry instant coffee mix, because most of coffee they serve at hotels are really undrinkable. (yes, way worse then instant drink mix)

Currently, I am in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala and at this moment, I am having a great latte from &cafe located at central park. (yes, the company name is &cafe, second largest coffee chain in Guatemala. the biggest one is called Barista cafe)

Today, I will be visiting a coffee farm in Huehue with couple of my Aussie customers and I am sure that we will be cupping some great coffee there.
Absolutely no need to take any instant mix when I come to Guatemala. One of the best coffee countries in the world.

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
When I was a small boy, early to mid 1950's, my father's work caused us to travel regularly. My mother carried her Sunbeam vacuum pot and her favorite coffee wherever we went. Apparently, I inherited the better-coffee gene from her.

On a six-week road trip to Alaska last summer, with my adult daughter, we made our coffee in an insulated stainless steel Frieling press pot when camping. When staying in hotels, we tried local coffee shops.

My usual MO when traveling is to try to identify promising coffee shops on the Internet ahead of time. Same with beer, I try to sample the local craft beers wherever I go.

Last edited:

SingleMaltKaffe

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I travel w/ an Aeropress, Porlex Mini. . .
While I don't really travel much, but when I do that above combination works fine.

Nesting

When I went back home to Hawaii this is what I brought with me to make Affogato al Caffè for my cousins:

The portable HandPresso Wild Hybrid works just fine for what it was intended for.

Enjoy! :coffee:

paffas

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
When I travel I am always checking the proper cafes in advance. The best is if you have some friend living there. When I went to Paris, I visited a friend and we went to some great cafes thanks to him.