What is wrong? (with the taste of my coffee)

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I have been drinking coffee for 50+ years and for the first 40 years drank anything that was served to me. Then I started drinking SB white chocolate moccas, 3 per day, until I retired 6 years ago. Recently, I have purchased a moccamaster and burr grinder and started using fresh roasted beans.
The problem is: I noticed a major change in taste when I started using the fresh roast instead of store bought; BUT, I cannot detect any change in taste between the different beans. I have bought and tried everything from Bolivian, Columbian, Brazilian, Bali, Kenyan and finally Kona.
Is this common? I guess my palette is not sophisticated enough. When I was travelling a lot I could detect good coffee at the 5 star hotels, but that was probably due to the freshness of their roast. I am still just looking for the perfect morning coffee to enjoy. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Are you buying coffee from the same roaster everytime? If you are I would suggest trying a few roasters and compare the coffee. I am not saying it is who is roasting it but its a start.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
The problem is: I noticed a major change in taste when I started using the fresh roast instead of store bought; BUT, I cannot detect any change in taste between the different beans. I have bought and tried everything from Bolivian, Columbian, Brazilian, Bali, Kenyan and finally Kona.

hello Mike. this is Alex from Ensoluna S.A. if you do not mind, I would like to give you some suggestion.
of course, using fresh roasted bean is very important (not over 2 weeks), but another thing is that the roasted beans need to be "light-medium roasted" in order to taste the difference. Dark Roast/French will not work for you.

also, if you can try them with Chemex or pour - over. much better than drip coffee.

Single origin & Single Varietal is a must, not blends (few different types of beans mixed into one type of coffee to create different type of flavor).

Bolivian, Colombian, Brazilian...etc are countries, not coffee varietal. as example, in Guatemala, there are numerous different types of coffees that have all different flavors, such as bourbon, caturra, pacamara, marago...etc. each different varietal will taste different.
however, the biggest taste difference will be "PROCESS OF COFFEE". THERE ARE 3 MAJOR ONES. : WASHED PROCESS, NATURAL, HONEY PROCESS. (you can get more info from internet what they are and how it works)

Just buying bean by countries will not work for you, not be able to tell the difference.

Try to buy about 3 different kind of beans (if possible, single varietals) with 3 different kind of processing (washed, natural, honey process) from 3 different countries (like Ethiopia, Guatemala, Kenya) and try them all at once, side by side.

first grind them each, and smell the differences, then, use Chemex for each coffee. Make it sure to have Light-Medium Roast.

finally, you can use Youtube to get some more "coffee cupping tutorial". it will show you how you can tell the difference and you can do it at home. it is kind of fun to do it.

hope that helps.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
In a dark roast, you'll notice more roast characteristics. In a light roast you'll notice more origin characteristics. That's the teeter-totter between light and dark.

Neither necessarily has more flavor. But if you're trying to determine the difference between origins, then it would need to be lighter - maybe City+, or Full City at the darkest - for you to find the origin characteristics.

I'm wondering if I was that roaster in Wisconsin?

Nucer

Aug 6, 2014
Benbrook, Texas
Visit site
I agree with Ensoluna. If you are getting dark roasted coffee then you are tasting the roast. Ever wonder why all the coffees taste the same at Starbucks (aka Charbucks)? You should buy coffee that is dark but no oils should be on the beans. If you see oils then the coffee is roasted too far. This is a simplification but should be a good guideline. You should smell the coffee before you grind, after you grind, during brewing and definitely after brewing. Different areas of the world will smell different. The final thing is to give your palate time to adjust to "GOOD" coffee since you have been drinking average to stale coffee for so long. Tasting coffee is like wine tasting. You have to accustom yourself to good coffee/wine before you can taste the differences between good coffee/wine. I will bet now all the coffee just taste good but in a few weeks you should be able to pick out the taste.

First as the coffee enter you mouth, see how it feels (thin, thick, full body, or smooth). Next is there bitterness or high acidity? Lastly what do you taste after swallowing the coffee. The first is called mouthfeel, the second is body, and the last is aftertaste. When you begin to notice a difference in coffee on these three things then you are on your way. Then we will begin to hear you talk about a thick, smooth, fruity coffee such as an Ethiopian natural. Or a full body, slightly acid (citrus), tasting Yiracheffe. Or, this one is for you Alex, a smooth low acidity coffee with a chocolate aftertaste Gaut.

Hang in there it takes time and patience to culivate your palate. Keep trying different coffees and it will come. Most of all enjoy the good coffees.

(enjoying a slightly thick, low acid, smooth tasting Mandheling with a bit of earthy aftertaste)

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I've been buying from Peter as well. I had been using a couple of local roasters but found that I was not getting a consistent roast from either of them and trying to get them on the phone or to even answer an email, well lets just not go there at all.
I've had an order of Columbian Supremo which was excellent and am expecting a 1/2 lb of Brazil - Candado Pulped Natural and a 1/2 lb of Peru - FTO Cenfrocafe CO-OP. I usually start with the Columbian and blend in a darker roast so I'm going to be doing a little experimenting once the new beans arrive.
Kudos to peter for his excellent coffee and service.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
My pleasure Peter, just trying the Peru and love it. I think it will blend very well with the Columbian. Going to try that in the morning.

H12Mike

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
hello Mike. this is Alex from Ensoluna S.A. if you do not mind, I would like to give you some suggestion.
of course, using fresh roasted bean is very important (not over 2 weeks), but another thing is that the roasted beans need to be "light-medium roasted" in order to taste the difference. Dark Roast/French will not work for you.

also, if you can try them with Chemex or pour - over. much better than drip coffee.

Single origin & Single Varietal is a must, not blends (few different types of beans mixed into one type of coffee to create different type of flavor).

Bolivian, Colombian, Brazilian...etc are countries, not coffee varietal. as example, in Guatemala, there are numerous different types of coffees that have all different flavors, such as bourbon, caturra, pacamara, marago...etc. each different varietal will taste different.
however, the biggest taste difference will be "PROCESS OF COFFEE". THERE ARE 3 MAJOR ONES. : WASHED PROCESS, NATURAL, HONEY PROCESS. (you can get more info from internet what they are and how it works)

Just buying bean by countries will not work for you, not be able to tell the difference.

Try to buy about 3 different kind of beans (if possible, single varietals) with 3 different kind of processing (washed, natural, honey process) from 3 different countries (like Ethiopia, Guatemala, Kenya) and try them all at once, side by side.

first grind them each, and smell the differences, then, use Chemex for each coffee. Make it sure to have Light-Medium Roast.

finally, you can use Youtube to get some more "coffee cupping tutorial". it will show you how you can tell the difference and you can do it at home. it is kind of fun to do it.

hope that helps.
I currently pre-wet the filter, add the fresh grounds and water, stir the grounds with the basket closed, open the basket and continue to stir the grounds while the coffee is dripping. Any suggestions?