Coffee Mug SCRATCHES and LEAD!

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I noticed on a lot of my coffee mugs have scratches on the inside bottom. I never use spoons in the mug and they only get washed in the washing machine, never microwaved. The mugs are mostly made in China, some in Taiwan, and USA. The only 2 I have that don't do this is a Tim Horton's mug made in England and a different generic mug made in Germany. The scratched mugs must have been painted with lacquer paint and has lead in it. Does anyone know where to buy generic looking coffee mugs not made with lacquer or won't scratch other than all glass?

index.jpg

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I have had this happen too and I've always thought it was from stirring with a metal spoon. When you put the mug into the dishwasher, do you put in on top of the prongs in the washer rack? That will make the scratches as the mug wobbles back and forth in the washing cycle. Also, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will remove the scratches. It's worked for me in the past.

Rose

cafeluxehome

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I have also experienced this kind of problem. I am also wondering how to remove that scratches and the stains. Thanks PinkRose, I'd like to try your suggestion.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I had to do a little searching here because I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the thread title. LEAD, really, I thought they banned that from paint back in the 70's but apparently that didn't include the glaze they use in making pottery items, unbelievable.

Suddenly drinking out of my plastic (BPA free of course) mugs doesn't sound so bad.

abeautifultaste

Mar 5, 2017
Arizona
Visit site
My father-in-law creates his own ceramic pottery mugs as a hobby in a pottery class. He made these two for my wife and I. You might want to consider going to a local pottery class and see if anyone wants to make you some generic looking coffee mugs.

IMG_2779.JPG