Recent Changes in Coffee Taste and Aftertaste

bilyo

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
My wife and I have been coffee drinkers for many years. We don't consider ourselves coffee connoisseurs. We mostly drink what is available in the local grocery; Folgers, Seattle's Best, Duncan Donuts, etc. In the past few months, we have noticed a decided difference in the flavor and aftertaste of these coffees. Most serious is the "drymouth" aftertaste. We are getting older (post retirement age) and it is possible that the problem is related to this. Or, have the coffee producers made some changes? I just want to check to see if anyone else has/is experiencing this. And, if so, did you find a solution?

MillCityRoasters

Jun 25, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
My wife and I have been coffee drinkers for many years. We don't consider ourselves coffee connoisseurs. We mostly drink what is available in the local grocery; Folgers, Seattle's Best, Duncan Donuts, etc. In the past few months, we have noticed a decided difference in the flavor and aftertaste of these coffees. Most serious is the "drymouth" aftertaste. We are getting older (post retirement age) and it is possible that the problem is related to this. Or, have the coffee producers made some changes? I just want to check to see if anyone else has/is experiencing this. And, if so, did you find a solution?

The trend in speciality coffee has been towards lighter roasts and, in the case of poorly roasted coffee, more astringency. While I'm way too much of a coffee snob to have sampled Folgers, Seattle's Best, or Duncan Donuts recently, it's very likely them, not you.

CoffeeOholic

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
I have read that when you get older your taste buds deterioate, but you could try cutting out your coffee consumption for a week, and then coming back to it to see if it still has the same taste you thought. Hopefully it's just your tastebuds neading a break for a minute, and you'll be back to tasting great drinks again in no time :)

vietnambeststore

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi bilyo, why dont you try to break out your routine and check out others kind of coffee? if your taste bud is still the same so I think it's high time to cut out a little bit

Thirdwave

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Hey Bilyo. My recommendation is pick up a bag of fresh roasted coffee from a local roaster. Ask about what grind is appropriate for your (assume) drip coffee maker. Also, make sure you are using coffee friendly cleaning supplies on your coffee pot. Build up of soaps from the dishwasher can cause some taste issues over time. Ask you local roaster about cleaning products and procedures that will reduce this adverse taste issue. If you don't have a grinder ask the roaster to grind it for you. Freshly roasted and grinded coffee make huge a taste difference if equipment or cleaning methods are not the issue. Also, ask the roaster if the do cupping. This is a fun activity for you and your wife...you will learn a lot and you might find some great freshly roasted coffee that you love. If you are open minded take a look at some fun alternate methods of making coffee. Infusion is relatively simple and can produce some great coffee with little effort on your part. Hope this helps...��

clipart125

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi! when we use any thing regularly then it makes us the consumers..me also addicted to the coffee.Some time me also feel the difference between the taste..and i think it is just normal because our taste buds rebuild every month .So during this it caused taste changes!!:coffee1:

cofcaf123

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
hi ..Dear :heart: May you live long ..I think that your age factor is the basic key that you notice your test going to change because after some time due to age the taste buds of our tongue:star: changes and burned due to drinking the very hot coffee from time but it is normal don;t worry

BoldJava

Jul 29, 2006
St Paul, Minnesota
Visit site
... We are getting older (post retirement age) and it is possible that the problem is related to this. Or, have the coffee producers made some changes? I just want to check to see if anyone else has/is experiencing this. And, if so, did you find a solution?

Two thoughts. I am your age and believe that the idea our taste buds fall off a cliff is grossly overstated. It just is not my experience. You should be able to consistently taste the flavors and experience the aftertaste. I would encourage you to buy better coffee. On a per cup basis at home, you will spend about $.15-$.20 per cup more when brewed at home.

Second, generic coffee will shift its composition between arabica and robusta coffee based on what each is trading at on commodity exchanges. The blend composition does not remain constant. Your brand may well be down-shifting its quality.

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I guess if the problem were them they would be tasting many other things differently

BINGO! And don't rule out the fact that the "age related" changes in taste and smell may be the result of medications commonly prescribed to treat age related conditions and illnesses, as suggested in the article below from Mayo Clinic News Network website.

Age-related Changes to Taste and Smell a Common Occurrence

March 16, 2012
Dear Mayo Clinic:
Why do we lose our sense of taste and smell as we get older? I am 86 and very much miss tasting food the way I used to. Is there anything I can do to reverse the loss?
Answer:
A decrease in taste and smell commonly occurs with aging. But if you lose these senses suddenly or if you notice a significant change in your ability to smell and taste, see your doctor, as certain medications or an underlying medical problem could be to blame. Although nothing can be done to reverse the process if it's related to aging, there are ways to make eating more enjoyable and ensure you get proper nutrition, even if your taste and smell aren't what they used to be.
Our senses of smell and taste are closely related. The tongue has taste buds and taste receptors that allow us to perceive sweet, sour, salty and bitter. In addition, when we eat, food releases odors that engage olfactory nerves within the nose. Those aromas combine with the tastes on our tongue to contribute to the overall enjoyment of food.
With aging, nerves within the nose tend to degenerate, decreasing the ability to smell and taste. To some degree, nerve degeneration also affects the taste buds. For most people, that is less of a problem, though, because the tongue has more nerves than the nose. So, quite a bit of nerve loss would have to occur before you noticed a decrease in taste due to problems with taste buds alone.
Age-related changes to taste and smell occur gradually over time, and there is no way to reverse those changes. In some cases, however, loss of taste and smell may not be a product of aging alone. Nasal and sinus problems — such as nasal polyps, allergies or sinusitis — can lead to a decrease in these senses. Dental issues, including an abscess, tooth decay or poor dental hygiene, may also interfere with your ability to taste and smell. Cigarette smoking is another common cause for a decrease in taste and smell.
In certain cases, a loss of these senses could be a sign of a more serious underlying medical concern. For example, some neurologic diseases, such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, may cause loss of taste and smell in their early stages.
If your ability to taste or smell changes abruptly, or if you notice a big decrease in these senses, that should be evaluated by your doctor. In addition, if you are taking medications, talk to your doctor about the possibility that they could be interfering with taste and smell. Many drugs can affect those senses, particularly beta blockers and angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. Sometimes a change in medication or treatment for an underlying medical concern may help relieve the loss of taste and smell.
For many people, though, these senses simply fade with age, and the loss is permanent. If that is the case for you, take steps to make eating more pleasant by eating with other people as much as possible. When eating is a social event, people often enjoy their meals more. Also, experiment with different flavors. You may be able to taste some types of food, seasonings and spices better than others. Just be careful not to put too much salt on food, as excess sodium in your diet could lead to additional health concerns.
As taste and smell begin to decrease, be mindful of your eating habits. Some people eat less or begin to eat in unhealthy ways when they lose these senses. Eating three nutritious meals a day, as well as healthy snacks, is important to staying healthy and preventing some common health problems associated with aging.
— Paul Takahashi, M.D., Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.

Peaberry

wscafe

Hi Bilyo,
I think you are 100% correct. I believe that your coffee taste has been changed from 10 to 15 years back to now. Here are my explanation:
#1. The taste changed because coffee roasters change it. Most probably, they have been increased percentage of robusta coffee among the mix. As robusta has cheaper price and can help local roasters to get more profit to compete against other competitors.
#2. The mouthfeel of "drymouth" aftertaste is just because more robusta has been added in. And robusta has less coffee oil than arabica. Lesser oil makes you feel "dry-mouth". More infors of robusta and arabica can be found here.
#3. Your age is not the real problem. The real factor of change is Vietnam. Vietnam has recently become a world's coffee giant with an annual production of upto 1.7 million tons of coffee (in which robusta accounts for more than 95%). Where have those robusta beans gone? The two main buyers of Vietnam coffee are America and Germany whilst domestic consumption of coffee of Vietnam is just around 5%. Would you mind trying to recapture your feeling on changes of the taste? Was it changed a lot during 15 years to 10 years back to now? If yes, the main reason is from Vietnam.
#4. Solutions for you. I suggest you should switch to drinking specialty coffee or single estate coffee. Some specialty coffee from Vietnam such as Cau Dat arabica single estate coffee can bring you back to the original coffee taste you love. Other world's famous ones such as Kona or Jamaican Blue Mountain are also good and can be found easily in America.

healthystuff

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Age related issue can cause an odd after-taste or worst we could not taste the coffee anymore or any other foods. And also just recently when I visited alexandria va dentist for my dental appointment. I found out that I have a tooth decay and needs tooth extraction. I was so glad that they were accommodating with me. The doctor explained that our sense of taste sometimes gave us problem due to teeth dental hygiene or it could be we have problem with our own health. So when we get old it's important to seek for doctors help.