[Need help] Is this real coffee?

soosoo

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm newbie here, it's nice to make friend with you guys :coffee1:My friend just came back from Hanoi, Vietnam and got me this pack of Weasel coffee, I'm not sure to have ever seen such beans like this before, it's oilly and really black :-| otherwise the smell was just hard to describe, like really really weird, it's smelled sweet, acid, caramelly all at once, I got a dizzy when smelling it, not sure whether it's caused by the caffein or not. I want to have some more information of this brand (I googled but failed :decaf: ) Like it was stated in the package this shop located in 44 Hang Manh, Hanoi, according to their email I guess this is An Phu Coffee. I'm so not going to taste this thing up till I got a proper explaination to this visual appearance of this extremely oilly and black beans. Thanks :coffee1:
Package:
Screenshot_1.jpg
Beans:
Screenshot_2.jpg
My hand after touching it:
Screenshot_3.jpg

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
my guess is that this is not 100% real weasel coffee. By looking at the roasting level, it shouldn't be that oily, but probably they have mixed with some flavoring and so on.
In Vietnam, there are 3 types of Weasel coffees.

one : the real one (whether it is actually real or not, but it is recognized as real weasel) is from Trung Nguyen coffee brand and only produce 40 kg per year, costing $3000 per 1 kg bag (5 times more expensive than Luwak from Indonesia)

second : Trung Nguyen's Lengendee brand which is a simulated weasel coffee. it uses synthetic enzymes to copy the civet's gastric acid.

third : just flat out fake copies. (if you can buy copy iwatch from China and Thailand, every types of copy brand name clothing and bags from Vietnam, it should be a pc of cake copying "COFFEE" ha ha ha)

BTW, after tasting it, let me know how it tastes. interesting to know.

soosoo

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Wow I didn't know about that, but I'm pretty sure that the roasters must mix this legendary beans with others normal one, how could they get enough coffee for such mass consumption like that, right? I think the problem to concern is the portion they mix them, with me 50-70% of real weasel coffee is okay but I dont know whether this coffee that I'm having right now is 10% mixed or not :decaf: I'm making a cup right now, wait for my review :coffee1:meanwhile, no aroma detected

soosoo

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm back, I havent tried it yet, see the picture then you will know why. How could they be so cruel to sell this type of coffee ?! Poor my friend who thought he has bought "Vietnamese coffee"

Hot: Oilly and dirty surface, looks like gasoline:
Surface3.jpgSurface.jpg

Icy: Night mare !
With ice.jpgWith ice3.jpgWithice.jpg

:coffeespill::coffeespill::coffeespill:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
probably the coffee has been sitting in local grocery store for few month or even years.
and on top of that, probably, it is Cheapest Robusta coffee that Vietnam is famous for.
and try to hide the robusta's bad flavor and old coffee, they have mixed with some different flavors, like cinnamon or vanilla...etc

anyway, thanks for posting the details, appreciate it.

soosoo

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Haha how exactly your description is. I told my friend and he said he bought this bag for 7,5 US dollars for only 100gr. Poor him

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
looks like they fried the beans in weasel fat (hence the name "Weasel Coffee") haha! haven't heard the word weasel in quite some time. soooo, what the heck did it taste like, or did you even taste it:shock:

soosoo

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
No of course I didn't namballe. Don't think my stomach is strong enough to endure this liquid lol, but I'm curious about how horrible it taste too :coffee1:

Last edited: