coffee roasters:-)

Mr.Leroy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm fairly new to home roasting and need some advice. I want to expand a little bit and get an actual roaster instead of roasting on a stove top. I've been checking out the behmor, gene cafe, and quest m3 and others. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I should get an automatic roaster like the behmor or gene cafe. Or if I can jump right into a quest m3 or huky 500. How hard/easy would it be for someone fairly new to roasting to use the quest m3?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
It depends on how much you've practice with your stove top method, and how involved you want to be. If you've come to know the sight/smell/sound markers, then a Huky or Quest would be the best way to go.

I say if you have the funds, go for it and grow into it. The Huky would be my choice, based on friends' experience.

Espresso888

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Jump straight to a Huky or Quest If I were you. Everyone got to start somewhere right?

With a few practice you'll get the hang of it

Last edited:

Mr.Leroy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the replies, it helped me a lot. Now i just need to decide on the roaster i want. I was looking at the quest or a huky. Which of the two would you recommend (which one is easier to learn on, which one can i get the best result in) or is there any other small roaster you can recommend me?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
For 12 years, I've been roasting with a SC/TO. If you like to tinker and have modest skills, you can cobble one together for cheap and do whatever a Huky or Quest can do. My basic answer is that you can learn on anything; if you want to learn how to roast and can spend time developing your palate to evaluate your roasts (maybe the most important part of becoming a good roaster) it doesn't matter much what you use, as long as it's a roaster you can control and change up the roast profile.