Can some expert tell me what is the differences between Weasel and Civet cat?

vietnambeststore

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Hello, like the title, I always wonder the differences between these 2. I know that Civet Cat from Indonesia and Weasel from VN but anything more? thnks :p

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I did and I didn't understand a thing !

I always thought they were just different terms for the same thing.

Since the civet cat is described as a weasel-like creature, people call the animals either civet cats or civet weasels. The coffee is "processed" by the animals in the same way. Obviously, different regions of the world will produce different tasting coffee, just like they do with coffee that's processed the traditional way.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
even I never looked it up until now. I got below info from google. (at least I learned something new today)

weasel
(FIRST PHOTO) is a mammal of the genus Mustela of the Mustelidae family. The genus Mustela includes the least weasels,polecats, stoats, ferrets, and minks. Members of this genus are small, active predators, with long and slender bodies and short legs. The Mustelidae family (which also includes badgers, otters, and wolverines) is often referred to as the "weasel family". In the UK, the term "weasel" usually refers to the smallest species Mustela nivalis. Weasels vary in length from 173 to 217 mm (6.8 to 8.5 in), females being smaller than the males, and usually have red or brown upper coats and white bellies; some populations of some species moult to a wholly white coat in winter. They have long, slender bodies, which enable them to follow their prey into burrows. Their tails may be from 34 to 52 mm (1.3 to 2.0 in) long. Weasels feed on small mammals, and have from time to time been considered vermin, since some species took poultry from farms, or rabbits from commercial warrens. They can be found all across the world except for Antarctica, Australia, andneighbouring islands.

civet (SECOND PHOTO) is a small, lithe-bodied, mostly nocturnal mammal native to tropical Asia and Africa, especially the tropical forests. The term civet applies to over a dozen different mammal species. Most of the species diversity is found in southeast Asia. The best-known civet species is the African civet, Civettictis civetta, which historically has been the main species from which was obtained a musky scent used in perfumery. The word civet may also refer to the distinctive musky scent produced by the animals. A minority of writers use the name civet to cover Civettictis, Viverra and Viverricula civets.[SUP][1][/SUP] But in more common usage in English the name also overs Chrotogale, Cynogale, Diplogale, Hemigalus, Arctogalidia, Macrogalidia, Paguma, andParadoxurus civets.

View attachment 5093View attachment 5094

coffeetom

Jul 5, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
i guess that you did not know about Elephant coffee in Chiang Sean, Thailand (northern Thailand area) which is called Black Ivory Coffee which IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN luwak.
Is it really?
Whenever I google about those coffees I only find Black Ivory Coffee is up to $300 per pound and luwak up to $600 per pound.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Is it really?
Whenever I google about those coffees I only find Black Ivory Coffee is up to $300 per pound and luwak up to $600 per pound.

Anyone who would spend that much for any coffee has more money than good sense....as PT Barnum famously said, " There's a sucker born every minute!"

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Is it really?

I do not think it really matters. I believe that everyone in this forum is smart enough to spend that much money to buy these types of coffees anyway.
it is all based on how they market the coffees, if there are suckers to pay that much money, they will just put whatever price tag on and sell them.

also, FYI, there is another ridiculous coffee similar to this in Taiwan.
"Taiwan Monkey coffee". I do not think that it is the exact name for it, but the concept and process of the coffee cherry are the same.
when I was in Taiwan last year visiting customers and I have heard that they have some coffee farms in Taiwan and they (taiwan coffee farmers) also use the monkeys to eat the cherries and ...etc like Luwak. but since the production is so small, it is only being sold in Taiwan's exclusive cafes.

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
This is amazing...I had no idea about Elephant coffee. This just keeps getting better and better....

YEP!!!!
the most famous one is Indonesia Luwak coffee using civet cats.
second is Vietnam Weasel coffee.
Third is Northern Thailand Elephant Coffee.
Fourth is Brazil Jacu bird poop coffee. (photos below, Mr. Peaberry. I am sure that you did not know about this bird and taiwan monkey either, didn't you, ha ha ha)
Fifth is Monkey coffee from Taiwan which is least known because they only consume in Taiwan due to small production.

BTW, they all claim that they are the most expensive coffee ever!

View attachment 5097View attachment 5098View attachment 5099View attachment 5100

coffeetom

Jul 5, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
I do not think it really matters. I believe that everyone in this forum is smart enough to spend that much money to buy these types of coffees anyway.
it is all based on how they market the coffees, if there are suckers to pay that much money, they will just put whatever price tag on and sell them.

also, FYI, there is another ridiculous coffee similar to this in Taiwan.
"Taiwan Monkey coffee". I do not think that it is the exact name for it, but the concept and process of the coffee cherry are the same.
when I was in Taiwan last year visiting customers and I have heard that they have some coffee farms in Taiwan and they (taiwan coffee farmers) also use the monkeys to eat the cherries and ...etc like Luwak. but since the production is so small, it is only being sold in Taiwan's exclusive cafes.

Yes I heard of the monkey poop. I think it is a google related suggestion when searching for coffee poop.

And yes I hope so too that nobody buys or supports those kinds of coffee. Rumor has it that ever since this civet cat coffee is so expensive and pushed in the media the producers only see dollar signs.
The poor shy civet cats are held in cages, crammed together and forced to eat the coffee beans. :-(

And if the elephant and monkey poop coffee becomes as popular I guess we all can imagine what could happen next. It's probably already happening.

No boundaries, not even with life, when it's about profit - sad but true.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes I heard of the monkey poop. I think it is a google related suggestion when searching for coffee poop.

And yes I hope so too that nobody buys or supports those kinds of coffee. Rumor has it that ever since this civet cat coffee is so expensive and pushed in the media the producers only see dollar signs.
The poor shy civet cats are held in cages, crammed together and forced to eat the coffee beans. :-(

And if the elephant and monkey poop coffee becomes as popular I guess we all can imagine what could happen next. It's probably already happening.

No boundaries, not even with life, when it's about profit - sad but true.

Greed is greed. Here in the USA there may be ample opportunities to exploit for profit so that we can thumb our noses at the rest of the world; however, at it's core, it is no different than what goes on here on a daily basis...we just exploit in more culturally (our own defined social mores) acceptable ways...just sayin'...

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Greed is greed. Here in the USA there may be ample opportunities to exploit for profit so that we can thumb our noses at the rest of the world; however, at it's core, it is no different than what goes on here on a daily basis...we just exploit in more culturally (our own defined social mores) acceptable ways...just sayin'...

Doug, are you saying that still "Gordon Gekko" is around?

Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies and cuts through to the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Perhaps, just the way "Bud" went to Gekko with Cuban cigars on his birthday, I should visit him with the Geisha from Zapote, ha ha ha.
PS: Still in China, and just catching up on some of great old movies. Just saw "Wall Street" by Oliver Stone again. What a great movie.