The Coffee Cuppers' Handbook

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm excited...rummaging through some boxes in my garage, I found this:
20160105_122945.jpg

(Sorry for the rotation. The picture wouldn't upload rotated correctly.)

I'm going to have fun rereading it after 15 years. I would have posted a picture of the Coffee Taster's Flavor Wheel, but this is copyrighted information, and I'm all about respecting that...especially for SCAA. What surprised me is that I had forgotten that all the cuppers' notes I've seen lately that point to flavor characteristics such as lemon or apple, maple, butter, dark chocolate, etc., are not consistent with the chart in this book. The chart divides the sensory experience of coffee into tastes and aromas, and the descriptors for taste do not include these terms; these seemingly taste related notes are actually on the AROMA side of the Coffee Taster's Flavor Wheel. Now I am greatly amused that I have found it difficult to understand how so many fellow coffee people can sense such subtle flavors in such a bold & complex beverage, but now I understand that the intent, at least from SCAA standpoint, is that these descriptors be used for the aroma evaluation of coffee and NOT the taste evaluation!!

Just sitting here at work watching it pour outside...you know as the song says, "It never rains California, but girl don't they warn ya, it pours...man it pours!"

Cheers!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Of course they are. Who are "they" to tell us what we are tasting anyway? Just another example of big brother imposing it's will into our business...lol!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So let me understand this, I am not the only one who cannot detect the difference between red currant and black current?

That is incorrect 3J, you probably are the only one who cannot detect the difference between red currant and black currant, we just don't have anyone who can prove that you are the only one...just sayin'...

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
There is a newer version of this book. Do you think anything worthwhile has changed in 15 years?

The cynical Doug would say no, that the facelift was intended to bolster sagging sales of the book. Looking at the cover though, it may be that SCAA is reformatting the book to better mirror the look and feel of other educational material. Either way, I'm sure the information in the 3rd Edition will provide a very thorough education in coffee cupping. The fun part will be putting that knowledge to use!

Thanks for the link PR!

Latest posts