storage question...

CoffeeBBQandCigars

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
I got myself a reusable KCup for free tonight until I can get my hands on a pourer dripper, which I'm gonna get soon. This brings me to a question about ground coffee. Everyone I know says to store it in the freezer. Can this be right OR good for the coffee? I bought a bag of Sumatra and have it stored in an airtight, light high jar sitting on my counter...but I also bought a bag of already ground hazelnut that I haven't opened yet its just sitting n the counter as well. Do I store the hazelnut min the freezer since I don't have another airtight/lighttight container? Thoughts?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Coffee coming out of the freezer has to sit and come up to room temperature to avoid moisture in the air from condensing onto the coffee.

This isn't meant to sound snippy, but there isn't much you can do to make the ground hazelnut more stale. It's already lost any freshness it had a long time ago, so I'd doubt that leaving it on the counter is going to hurt. It'll still have caffeine and the hazelnut flavor, so if that's all you want from it, you're good to go.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm guessing the bag of ground hazelnut coffee has been sitting around for a while, that is, unless you actually went to a local roaster and purchased it yesterday.

If you were to freeze it, the best thing to do would be to divide it up into small portions and freeze it that way. Then only take out what you need for the day, and let it thaw out before using it. It only takes a short time for it to thaw.

Freezing the whole bag of coffee in one hunk is a bad idea. Taking the bag in and out of the freezer only makes things worse.

It's amazing how many people do that. It's a bad idea.

javaboy

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I've tried for longer than a 2 week storage using Food saver bags, vacuum packed in the freezer. we freeze in week size bags. Once in the freeze , it does not come out until ready to use, to keep any condensation from forming within the bag.