Coffee buying

SpeedyGal

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I'm new here, but I am really getting into coffee now.

I've been ordering all my coffees from Amazon, which is where I pretty much buy everything due to their speed and no shipping rates. But their coffee is a bit limited.

When I read the posts in here, I see there are hundreds of different coffees, and I get excited after reading a post about how delicious a particular brand is, then I go to buy it, and I cant find the majority of them on Amazon. :sad:

Is there a really good place with good prices and free shipping you guys are going to buy your coffees?

I would like to order a dozen or so different NEW coffees to really compare them side by side.

I'm actually doing this with two really strong coffees (world's strongest?) but I also want to try it with really good super high quality coffees.

Thanks!

SpeedyGal

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Here's one I haven't ordered yet that is available on Amazon. It looks like it is sold and shipped by Amazon, so I assume they own it as their own brand? It shows up at the top of almost every search result I do and has almost 2000 positive reviews. Unless somebody says something really bad about it, I am going to get it.

71JYnCP83NL._SX522_.jpg

81xEH1VRpdL._SY679_.jpg

Attachments

• 71JYnCP83NL._SX522_.jpg
    71JYnCP83NL._SX522_.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 113

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
There is no such thing as free shipping. There may be sites that don't charge you for shipping, but you're paying for it in the price of their product. My website charges $5.95 flat-rate shipping; I could raise the cost of the coffee a few bucks a lb. and not charge for shipping, or I could keep the prices the same and buy cheap/past crop, but you're going to pay for it one way or another. Listen to Bernie Sanders, he's promising free stuff too, but nothing but God's grace is free.

SpeedyGal

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I actually buy a lot of my groceries on Amazon now. I pay the $5 cost for the huge pantry box and get it filled with product that is about the same price (often cheaper) than my local grocery store. But yeah, the coffees do seem more expensive for the ones that the stores carry.

How much does coffee cost per pount if you buy it in bulk? I mean, what do small coffee makers pay per pound?

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
How much does coffee cost per pount if you buy it in bulk? I mean, what do small coffee makers pay per pound?
are you talking about small roasting businesses? i buy my coffee directly from the grower in the quintals, and have it transported by bus to my front door. albeit, it's still in the "pergamino" shell, it's very cheap.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Just like cars or anything else, coffee pricing is depends on the quality of coffee.
it could be $100 per one quintal (100 lbs of bag. green coffee, export standard) or up to $1500 per quintal (Geisha)

the coffee we (USA coffee shops and roasters) use are 81/82 Arabica SHB which mostly use for blends or espresso or 85 & up Specialty coffee.
for 81/82, currently, around $220 to $230 per quintal FOB port of central coffee origin country
for 86, it is around $330 to $360 per quintal FOB port.
and if you are looking for something very unique and great, such as Pacamara, Yellow Bourbon, Maragogype, the pricing is $380 to $450 per quintal.

Currently, the market coffee price is $114.00 which is very very low, but good espresso coffee and specially micro lots/specialty coffee does not really go by market pricing.
basically it goes by supply and demand.

Gigi

Mar 23, 2015
Maryland
Visit site
I have a cousins who have about 1500 plants of coffee geisha his first year,he want me to bring him some bags to the us and try it to sell it to a roasters,but I don't know how will the price per pound will be reasonable,and also do not want to scare them away and be stuck with a couple of geisha sack myself.any advice?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Not all Geisha is the same.
Just like everything else, specially Geisha has big range of sales pricing.
In Guatemala alone, from the farms we represents, the sales pricing is from $15 to $45 (Green beans, not roasted) per pound.
It is depends on process method, how well it was sorted, when it was harvested and how it tastes..etc

So before any advises are given, we have to know about the quality of your Geisha.

PS: important point about when it was harvested : let's say Geisha plant start producing ripe cherries from November to April. The best quality Geisha will be Feb & March harvested Geisha. Nov, Dec & April harvested Geisha do not sell at high pricing due to lesser quality flavor.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Bad flavor Geisha? I can not put it that way. however, let me try to explain.
Normally if harvest months are four month, middle two months produce best geisha.
if he is thinking of honey process, he has to be very careful about processing. Honey processing is much more difficult than washed or Natural because there are greater chance that it gets fermented.
Also, sorting, you have to sort out (taking out broken beans, defective beans, insect beans...etc) carefully, so that each beans are the perfect and without any defects which might spoil the taste.
Better to pack them in Vacuum bag, rather then regular burlap (which no one used for any type of specialty coffee. Geisha is the top of specialty coffee.) nor even grainpro.

And most important. when you use milling company who will mill and vacuum pack for you. you MUST USE reputable and reliable milling company. A lot can go wrong while sorting, milling and packing if you use shady company to this job. There should be some specialized micro lot milling company for top grade Geisha bean or any other micro lots. you need to ask around and use the specialty milling company.