How to make a coffee without an automatic machine?

panty

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I bought one of those manual stainless steel coffee beans grinder, but I want to know if there is a way to make a coffee without the machine?
And not a disposable filter
Is there a thing such as a tea strainer but for coffee? because I haven't found
what would be your best solution?

Thank you :coffeemug:

panty

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Thank you! definitely going to try.
And Amazon suggested me some similar items after clicking on your link, such as this one, which looks nice as well:
"Primula Coffee Brew Buddy Single Cup Coffee Maker" (can't post links yet)

On a side note: How many teaspoons of ground beans are equal to 1 teaspoon of instant coffee?
And, why aren't there "coffee balls" like there are tea balls (or infusers), that you can insert some coffee to it, and dip it in hot water? Maybe I can try using ground coffee inside a tea infuser?

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Just as an example, you can experiment and adjust the coffee to taste, but you can make a decent 12 ounce cup of coffee using two level tablespoons (not teaspoons) of ground coffee beans. Just experiment and add more or less coffee, until you get it the way you like it.

Since I don't use instant coffee, I don't know how many teaspoons of instant coffee you would use to make a 12 ounce cup, so I can't help you compare the two.

If you're in a hurry to make your coffee, and if you're not fussy about the taste, Folgers sells individual serving coffee bags (like tea bags) that may be of interest to you.

http://www.amazon.com/Folgers-Coffe...455732327&sr=8-3&keywords=folgers+coffee+bags

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
My favorite way to brew coffee is with a french press. You need to use the coarse grind setting on your grinder. Put the coffee grounds in first, add water at a temperature of about 205F, let steep for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes, agitate the grounds at least once during steeping, then push down on the plunger to push the grounds to the bottom of the carafe. If you get a larger french press, you can pour coffee into a thermos to maintain temp.

Peaberry

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I used a Clever Coffee Dripper paired with a #4 Freiling gold filter for a long time. But before that it was always a press pot, and for the last couple years, I've returned to the press pot again, my first love.

The old adage about grinding course for French press is (I think) only due to the fact that for years the mainstay in coffee grinders was the blade grinder, for which the press pot is the worst match. With a decent burr grinder, a finer grind is better, especially since it'll allow for a shorter steep time.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thank you! definitely going to try.
And Amazon suggested me some similar items after clicking on your link, such as this one, which looks nice as well:
"Primula Coffee Brew Buddy Single Cup Coffee Maker" (can't post links yet)

On second thought, don't consider the Folgers coffee bag idea. Instead, think about getting a French Press or a Clever Coffee Dripper or even something similar to what you found earlier today.
http://www.amazon.com/Primula-Coffe...ula+Coffee+Brew+Buddy+Single+Cup+Coffee+Maker

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I used a Clever Coffee Dripper paired with a #4 Freiling gold filter for a long time. But before that it was always a press pot, and for the last couple years, I've returned to the press pot again, my first love.

The old adage about grinding course for French press is (I think) only due to the fact that for years the mainstay in coffee grinders was the blade grinder, for which the press pot is the worst match. With a decent burr grinder, a finer grind is better, especially since it'll allow for a shorter steep time.

I have a Bodum burr grinder...guess it's time to upgrade my game, just sayin'...

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site
Talk in the above posts regarding a stainless permanent filter for a pour over got me to looking this morning. I found a gold stainless filter that fits a #4 cone filter so I promptly bought it. I'll discontinue use of paper filters once it arrives.

My thanks to all who mentioned the reusable filter. It hadn't yet occurred to me.... :)

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Talk in the above posts regarding a stainless permanent filter for a pour over got me to looking this morning. I found a gold stainless filter that fits a #4 cone filter so I promptly bought it. I'll discontinue use of paper filters once it arrives.

My thanks to all who mentioned the reusable filter. It hadn't yet occurred to me.... :)

Yeah for Marty... because we all know how much Marty loves sludge in his coffee cup!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I was never an advocate of metal filters...always figured there would eventually be a build up of oils that would impart an off-taste...maybe time to revisit this too. However...I will say this,"You can lead a Peaberry to water, but you can't make him drink."

Cheers,

Peaberry

wscafe

Hi Panty,

I think these following brewers can bring you a new experience of brewing coffee. They are both manual and non-disposable (that means you can use it a long time).
1. Vietnamese phin filter (or dripper): here is the link for its image from here: Vietnamese phin filter or How to make coffee with Vietnamese filter. The phin filter can be made from stainless steel or aluminum and is one of the world's oldest brewers. However, it is quite popular in Vietnam today.
2. French press. French press is able to be used many times, of course. As its name indicates, you just press and your coffee will be ready in less than a minute. To see how French press works, you can check this article on French press.
3. Moka pot. This pot is also a practical way to brew coffee. The best name for Moka pot so far can be Bialetti moka pot. It is a must for every barista together with other coffee makers.
4. A ceramic dripper such as Tanors can be another option. You can see it here together with phin filter.
5. Most incredibly, in Vietnam there is a very bizzard way of brewing coffee which the brewer put coffee powder into a big bag and boil it in a clay pot. In Vietnamese, they say "ca phe vot" (coffee boiled with a spoon net in a clay pot). You may check more information from Frankie's post on clay pot coffee.:decaf::decaf::decaf:

Hello,

I bought one of those manual stainless steel coffee beans grinder, but I want to know if there is a way to make a coffee without the machine?
And not a disposable filter
Is there a thing such as a tea strainer but for coffee? because I haven't found
what would be your best solution?

Thank you :coffeemug:

HoneyDew

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
My favorite way to brew coffee is with a french press. You need to use the coarse grind setting on your grinder. Put the coffee grounds in first, add water at a temperature of about 205F, let steep for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes, agitate the grounds at least once during steeping, then push down on the plunger to push the grounds to the bottom of the carafe. If you get a larger french press, you can pour coffee into a thermos to maintain temp.

Peaberry

Is what came to mind, but if he's looking for espresso he probably won't be that happy with the idea

Latest posts