Should we consider barista an art-related career or just a regular job?

Is a barista an artist or an ordinary worker?

• Total voters

wscafe

I've been in the industry for several years and have some understanding about barista. When people talk about a barista, he or she will probably think of a master of coffee. You may admire a barista in your favorite local coffee shop as he decorates your coffee cup like an artwork. However, should we consider a barista like an artist or just an ordinary worker?

1. If a barista is an artist, why are his artworks (here are different cups of coffee) being sold at $3 to $5 each?
  2. If a barista is just an ordinary worker, why is there a World Barista Championship (WBC) which is held one time per year. In terms of time of celebration, this event is even hotter than Fifa Football World Cup whilst we have to wait for 4 years for the World Cup?
  3. As you can see, not many sports have a world cup. This is even rarer for a career. Let's say, when would we have a world championship for car or bike repairers? Sounds incredible!

So, what is your opinion? Should we classify a barista as an artist or just an ordinary worker?

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I think you're wrong in terms of how the coffee consuming public regards a barista. A barista is definitely a title that needs to be earned as there is a level of skill required that is attained through experience and not just reading a 'How-to' book. However, there will be those who take their craft to a level where it can rightfully be considered an art...this is where the competitions come in, and, yes, even mundane occupations foster competition within the industry...bragging rights for garbage collectors even!

Your question suggests that you feel all barista's should be considered artists, and I strongly disagree. There are brick layers and there are Catalana brick roof installers...which is the artist? There is a color-by-numbers when he was 6 years old...me, and there is Picasso. Is anyone who picks up a paint brush an artist? A barista is a title for a person who operates an espresso machine competently at best. Lord knows how many fail even this simple test!

Cheers,

Peaberry