Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Hahaha... thanks for accommodating us evil people, Doug!

Quote Originally Posted by peterjschmidt View Post
    Hahaha... thanks for accommodating us evil people, Doug!
    As a former evil doer, I can only hope to help guide you to the path of righteousness...

What variables affect my coffee?
    there are quite a few.
    A. WATER TEMP.
    B. TIME OF EXTRACTION.
    C. EVEN COFFEE GROUND.
    D. AMOUNT OF COFFEE
    E. AGITATION OF COFFEE/TURBULENCE.

To me, in order to make a good BLACK coffee for me to drink, grinding coffee bean is very important.
    you must grind them EVENLY.
    if there are many different sizes of grounds, the small ones will extract the flavor much faster than the big ones. So, when the time for the big ones to release their flavors, the small ones will already have done releasing and started to bleed some unwanted flavors, such as bitterness...etc

In order to make a good coffee, "almost" everyone knows that WATER you use is very important to the quality of your coffee.
    As I mentioned before, the golden ratio is 17.42 vs 1. But as a general guideline, you can use two tablespoons of ground coffee for every 6 ounces of water, of course, you can adjust to your own taste preference.

Also, be sure to use filtered or bottled water if your tap water has some odors.
    However, if you really want to use tap water, let it run a few seconds before using it and be sure to use cold water.
    AVOID distilled or softened water.

Good luck and Enjoy your great coffee today.

Good luck and Enjoy your great coffee today.[/QUOTE]

So far, I tried kalita pour over, French press and drip, Based on the chart you posted above, I am going to get aeroPress
    Thanks for the post

Bob from Jumpinjakjava sent me couple of great coffees for me to try out and cup.

Ethiopia Yirgacheffe & Colombian Mocha. I promised him that I will cup today and let him know how it came out. And since these are good coffee, I decided to post them here in 'WHAT IS GOOD COFFEE" thread.

They both are excellent coffee and properly roasted, but personally, I really liked Yirgacheffe. As far as aroma was concerned, it had hints of chocolate and fragrant of citrus & coconut. For the coffee profile, absolutely distinct floral, winy & black berry, very complex & intense flavors. Very clean and flowery which are the main characteristics of good Yirgacheffe. Clean finish with medium body.
    I absolutely enjoyed it. (after cupping, I made myself a cup of coffee as you can see in photo #5)

For the Colombian Mocha, honestly, I do not have much of chance to drink or cup good mocha coffees. In Guatemala where I work, I have not see any farms that grow and sell mocha.

Yemen mocha is one of the most unique tasting coffees. It is known to have bright & complex acidity with live flavors that expand from dark chocolate to wine & fruit. I have heard that darker roast brings out the most exciting and intense flavors for this coffee. (however, since the beans are so small and delicate and you got to be very careful roasting)

The Colombian Mocha that I have cupped wasn't as good as the Yemen Mocha that I have cupped long time ago, but it wasn't bad either.
    It had most characteristics of good mocha, but lacked in clarity and distinctiveness of each flavors.
    Nonetheless, it was also an excellent coffee.

Again, I would like to thank Bob / Jumpinjakjava for sending me these coffees for me and my family to try.
    thanks Bob

WHAT is good COFFEE?  And How do you make them?-13263712_1760722037544918_2040511212232726077_n.jpgWHAT is good COFFEE?  And How do you make them?-13319697_1760722000878255_4168692247829821097_n.jpgWHAT is good COFFEE?  And How do you make them?-13267770_1760722060878249_7969782317558416790_n.jpgWHAT is good COFFEE?  And How do you make them?-13237859_1760722080878247_7289922367820062790_n.jpgWHAT is good COFFEE?  And How do you make them?-13254299_1760722097544912_979444007764931239_n.jpg
    Last edited by ensoluna; 05-27-2016 at 11:55 AM.

There are couple of Myths about coffee.
    Great Italian Coffee & "The second crack is a good sign" slogan from Starbucks.

I believe that Italians do many things well, but making good coffee is not one of their specialties. An Italian roast is another way of saying "burnt bean taste", however, still many coffee chains use this non-sense marketing to attract customers (I guess it is also a fault of the customers, not knowing).
    Most of coffee chain stores are roasting to the 2nd crack that means they are roasting to the point where the coffee beans are fully 'blown out" from the heat (totally covered in oil and almost black).

What is good coffee bean roast?
    I guess that the trick is realizing when to stop between the 1st crack and 2nd crack.

French Press Coffee

My favorite coffee is french press coffee. We have a roasting company in town that I use for the beans. I make different strengths depending on the day.

for me a good coffee will on the drinker's preference. Personally, I like Cappuccino more than the other flavors.

CAPPUCCINO. that is an interesting Italian word.

this word comes from Latin "Caputium" which means something that covers the head. But specifically it comes from the color of the hooded robes worn by monks & nuns. (Red-brown color in 17th Europe). Also, Cappuccino actually means "small capuchin" = "small hood". just like in Spanish, Chino (Chinese), but Chinito means "small Chinese".

However, I wonder WHY and HOW they named Cappuccino drink, Cappuccino?????
    if anyone knows, let us know.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links