Learning the History and Impact of Colombian coffee.

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I really enjoyed learning the history and the neat cultural impact that Colombia had in the coffee industry, and I hope you do as well! :razz:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
If you take away the impact of the hugely successful "Juan Valdez" advertising campaign of the National Federation of Coffee Growers of Columbia, Colombia's place in the world of coffee...especially the US...likely would not be as prominent. This campaign for a collective industry can be compared to the dairy industry's "Got Milk" campaign, only on a global scale, and for a longer duration (since 1958 ).

One interesting tidbit I found was this controversy:

The National Federation of Coffee Growers of Colombia sued cartoonist Mike Peters, creator of Mother Goose & Grimm, for a cartoon talking about Juan Valdez and Colombian coffee in January 2009. In a weeklong series making fun of various commercial products, he referenced violence in Colombia by having a character say: "Y'know, there's a big crime syndicate in Colombia. So when they say there's a little bit of Juan Valdez in every can, maybe they're not kidding." The lawsuit was dropped after Mr. Peters apologized publicly.

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
You know, I was reading up on Juan Valdez! Apparently he is like Colombias mascot for coffee, from what I gather. That controversy is nuts! With such a back lash on a cartoonist, of all people, it makes you wonder! Knowing the violent history of Colombia.

Latest posts