Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Instant pour over (one time use. aka drip bag) is very popular in Asian countries.
    Of course, you can not really beat freshly ground coffee every morning, but where Nescafe is the King, drip bag also rules the pour over market in every convenient stores.

By the way, if you insist on your own freshly ground coffee for this drip bags, they also sell just the paper shell so that you can add your own coffee.
    I see everywhere in Asia, but not much everywhere else.

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-dscf5607-850x567-2x.jpg

This is a personal story regards to Specialty coffee in Poland.

I have been to Warsaw just once in my life time. I think that was in late 1990s. I was there for Electronic exhibition event for a week. Even back then, I was a coffee fanatic, but in Warsaw, all I was able to get was real bad Robusta coffee or just Nescafe instant coffee and I was thinking that was the worst coffee country that I have ever been in Europe.

Then, fast forward to two weeks ago.
    I received an email from a Polish tour company www.relaksmisja.com Relaksmisja Travel contacted by Malwina asking for our coffee tour information. She said that they were taking 8 coffee crazies from Poland to Guatemala to experience A REAL COFFEE TOUR, not cookie cutter made "fake" coffee tour in Guatemala. She said that one of her friend, Lenka who happens to be my buyer in Czech Rep for last 3 years, gave her our information.

As she told me, currently, Poland specially in Warsaw is one of the fastest growing Specialty coffee market in entire Europe. ALL IN JUST 7 YEARS PERIOD.
    Since 2010, specialty cafes and roasters opened up like crazy and for about five years, Warsaw became the place for specialty coffee in Eastern European Countries.

Someday, I got to visit there again to wipe clean my old Robusta taste.

please check out this video. AMAZING COFFEE CULTURES AROUND THE WORLD.

My favorites are : Preparing Turkish coffee in hot Sands. Japanese style Iced Coffee! Cambodian Street Coffee (very similar to Vietnam coffee, except topping off with sliced coconuts!) And check out the coffee from German Cafe. (Move over Frappuccino!!! This is even way BETTER!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HQxvw3hklw

Don't you ever wonder when and exactly which machine started our modern espresso machine? Basically THE GODFATHER OF ESPRESSO MACHINE.

it is Faema E61 (invented 1961). The first semi-automatic and the first one to pump the watch the ideal 9 atmosphere pressure and keep it constant during the entire extraction.

Faema company still manufactures this model, as limited edition. Price? Between $12K to $15K.

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-03-faema-e61-1961-665x541.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-4293356137_768252fab2.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-legend-3ee-2.jpg

We have a place to do a cafe where people can chat, rest, looking for a partner is interested in coffee business in Malaysia

To me, this is quite interesting.

there is a company called, Black Sheep Coffee, in London that serves and specialize in Robusta coffee. I guess they decided to get more out of average cup of coffee. They wanted strong, full bodied and very high in caffeine. Hence ROBUSTA! according to their business plan.

As we all know, Robusta is picked by machine. that means everything gets picked : rotten, unripe, insects, and including some branches..etc. Of course, this guarantees REALLY BAD CUP OF COFFEE.

So, what Black Sheep Coffee did was that they wanted to treat Robusta like good Arabica. Hand-picked, washed with clean water, twice, and african bed dry.

And they CLAIM that the taste profile has more "character" than Arabica with notes of walnuts and chocolate!

Personally, I am not so sure whether this will work. The flavors are in the genes, in altitude, soil...etc. I do not think that they can treat them better, it would make a great coffee.

As you can see from below photos, they are commercial beans, but mixed with many Maragogype beans which can be considered as expensive micro lots. However, specially in Huehuetenango, there are a lot of different types of varietals are mixed in one lot, so it is very difficult for pickers to pick everything separately. Hence, they just pick entire lot and sell them as commercial beans.

We will be cupping these beans for our Czech Republic customer's order.

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-17342562_1907571469526640_8033891071938996814_n.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-17424611_1907571452859975_7542901070612964195_n.jpg

I read today that in the 1600's coffee was actually banned by some Muslim rulers because of the stimulating affects being like a drug. This was considered to be bad by some of the very devout. Can you imagine?
    "There's coffee in that nebula."- Katherine Janeway

very nice post. i do not know about this history before this.

In my personal opinion, Guatemala is #3 best coffee producing country in the world, after Ethiopia & Kenya. However, officially, Guatemala is ranked at #4, right after Colombia, even though some experts put Guatemala as #2 or even at #1.

of course, everyone drinks coffee in here. Yesterday, I was in my coffee shop and 3 young school girls came in asking for coffee. they looked like 10 or 11 years old girls. When I asked Daniel (my partner), whether it is okay to serve the coffee to those young girls, he just looked at me funny and told me that "We are in Guatemala".

There are coffee shops in every corner, and even there are street vendors with small carts selling coffee.
    Coffee being #2 money making products in Guatemala, it is understandable and logical for everyone to drink coffee, even more so than drinking soft drinks.

however, 99% of coffee they are drinking is not really coffee. Mostly instant coffee (nescafe & many many other local brands) and most of ground coffee is mixed with other grains in order to make them cheap and in local super market, only coffee they carry is instant & ground coffee. in order to buy roasted beans, you have to go to "better coffee shops" where most of foreigners go to. but hardly no one goes there to buy because of expensive pricing.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links