Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30
    Everyone knows that coffee was discovered in Ethiopia. HOWEVER, between Yemen & Ethiopia, actually which country has the bigger claim on coffee origin?
    yes, it is obvious that the coffee plant emerged in Ethiopia, but it is apparent that the coffee drink matured in Yemen.

well.... no one really knows exactly where and when and how it happened, but when coffee historians investigate thru murky records and "fantastical myths", we know that in 15th century, "SUFI MONKS" in Yemen had begun cultivating, drinking and producing coffee for trade.

SUFI MONKS? this sufi monks intrigued me more so than coffee itself. who is sufi monks?
    They are monks who practice sufism, mystical Islamic belief which Muslims seek to find the truth of divine love and knowledge through direct personal experience of God. Also, when we talk about sufi, Sufi Mysticism pops up. it is to produce a personal experience of the divine through mystic and ascetic discipline. The term Sufi appears to be derived from the Arabic word "suf" meaning "wool" in the sense of "cloak" which refers to the simple cloaks the original sufis wore.

Darn... there are so many things that I did not know about coffee.... :+)

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-22adf105-ebf0-4ca9-a446-e7a2789166dc.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-34770971c9b1a167a5062e09a8264a4f.jpg
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Since I just have mentioned about Philippines coffee (consuming Liberica specie coffee), here are some info about coffee in the Philippines.

* it produces about 30K tons a year. that is not really much at all. that is about 8K more than what Lao produces. (and probably no one knows or have tried the coffees from Philippines or Lao, right?)
    By the way, just to give you some perspective, Vietnam produces about 1,800,000 metric tons of coffee a year.

* about 200 years ago, Philippines was the 4th largest coffee producing country in the world. then, what happened now? Around late 1800s, COFFEE RUST wiped out the coffee industry and most of farmers had to switch to other crops.

* Philippines is one of the very few places that can grow all four primary coffee varieties : Arabica, Robusta, Liberica & Excelsa.

* As I said before, Philippines mostly consume Liberica beans which is known as "Kape Barako" (sounds like the coffee that our previous president drinks :+), this means Barako coffee. So, what is the meaning of Barako? that means "wild boar" in Tagalog (Philippines language). Apparently this wild boars are fond of snacking the coffee berries.... (there is another opportunities to be like "Luwak coffee in Indonesia". Poop from wild boar.... )
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

CATIE in Costa Rica has been studying coffee since 60 years ago.
    CATIE stands for "Centro Agronomico Tropical de Investigacion y Ensenanza" (Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center). This CATIE is the main research center for coffee genetics and developments. (it is in Costa Rica and someday, if there is chance, I would love to visit this place)

After 60 years of study of coffee genetics, CATIE have established that Ethiopia still hold 95% of the genetic resources of coffee.
    HOWEVER, unfortunately, Ethiopia no longer allows samples of their coffee plants / seeds...etc to be removed from country, for either research or farming purpose.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

someone might be wondering "what the hell Ensoluna (Alex. yes, that is me) is posting today. what are the photos? kind of un-like of him.
    yes, that is true.

today, I am posting "something interesting facts about coffee around the world" on Shenzhen, China hotel room coffee / tea stands.
    I flew into China last night, to Shenzhen city, (it is right above Hong Kong). #4 largest city in China. about 25 million people.

I just wanted to show you exactly what kind of coffee related amenities that normal china hotel offers IN CHINA.
    as you can see, they do not offer coffee. any sort of instant coffee, nor drip coffee. Just two cups with four cheap tea bags. No sugar, nothing. Not even "stirrer" for the tea or coffee.

there is couple of Chinese instant noodle in case you are hungry or do not want to go out of hotel and eat.
    But they provide a hot boiling water pot which is great. All the hotel provide this hot water pot for instant noodles or making some hot beverages.

for me, I brought my instant coffee from home (Taster's Choice) and put that into a medicine plastic bottle for easy carrying and brought some splenda. This is just for morning fix. since I get up so early, at 4 am even in China, that never changes wherever I am.
    I have to get my coffee fix, no matter what.
    by the way, I had to use tooth brush to stir the coffee. :+(

Maybe if you check into 5 star hotel, special American or European hotel, I am certain that they will have way better coffee stands at the room, but I am traveling cheap... 3.5 star hotel, paying around $40 per night.

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-22405519_2015855785364874_7158876650733907280_n.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-22405623_2015855798698206_3308996175854246055_n.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-22406336_2015855652031554_6832605410684367438_n.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-22448442_2015855678698218_5608224516206356597_n.jpg
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Super Moderator
    Alex,

Using your toothbrush was a handy idea.

I bet the next time you pack your gear for a trip to China, you'll remember to add some coffee stirrers. You can always grab a few extra ones the next time you go out for coffee and stash them away for future use.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Rose

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Alex,

Using your toothbrush was a handy idea.

I bet the next time you pack your gear for a trip to China, you'll remember to add some coffee stirrers. You can always grab a few extra ones the next time you go out for coffee and stash them away for future use.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Rose
    thanks for advise, P.Rose. But not my tooth brush :+) of course, not someone else's either.
    In China, from $20 hotel to $100 hotel, every room provide one pair of brand new tooth brush, two tiny tiny tooth paste and a comb free of charge.
    you can use them in the room or even take them with you.

however, I "stole" couple of stirrers from Pacific Cafe next day, just in case ha ha ha

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-22459304_2016772448606541_5045042643920381378_o.jpg
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links