What am I doing wrong?

GregP507

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
I have several coffee-makers with paper filters, and I was having trouble with coffee grounds running over the top and making a mess. I was using regular-grind, but switching to coarse-grind didn't seem to make a difference. So I switched to a metal screen, but it didn't seem to help much. Even when I used a Bodum-type coffee-press, the plunger seems to be hard to push down. So I started to grind my own coffee with a burr-type grinder to make it very coarse, which finally seemed to help. My water seems to be the normal municipal-grade, safe to drink.

What's going on? Any ideas?

Grind

Your coffee is ground too fine and/or water is being dispensed too quickly. Grind your coffee a little more coarse, if you can. Also, some coffee brewers have the ability for you to program the brew time. You can try to extend the brew time so that the water isn't dispensed too quickly. Both of these things, of course will have an impact on the flavor extraction of your coffee. Make sure your coffee tastes great after you make the changes. It may take a bit of trial & error to get it right.

SKesler

Aug 16, 2016
Illinois
Visit site
Mystic is more or less in my opinion spot on.

You may be grinding your coffee to fine and or using too much coffee. Honestly, it also might be your brewer. Remember the golden ratio 17.5:1 - You can't go wrong! If you're still having difficulty I'd recommend trying pour-over-brewing (recently wrote an article about it). To be super honest with you it produces an amazing cup of coffee! Just be sure to pour steadily and slowly and remember that golden ratio! Cheers mate!

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
you are excused, :+) however, it would be beneficial to all of us and also to you if you can post some constructive comments / advises / opinions on other threads... rather than just saying "please excuse this post. I have to make 5 before...."
anyway, I also live in California (long beach, CA), I would like to hear about your business opportunities.
thanks and good luck.