looking for a coffee

remington79

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm having trouble finding a coffee. I have liked Starbucks Pike but over the years it has become too mocha flavored. This is my daily coffee so it's not like I went away from it and then suddenly came back and forgot what it tasted like. My dilemma is that I really dislike coffee with mocha undertones. I prefer my coffee to be a little more bitter. It's weird but not only do I dislike coffee with hints of mocha but it also seems to make my head hurt. Are there any other coffees that are out there. It seems like coffees I used to like are changing flavor.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
I'm having trouble finding a coffee. I have liked Starbucks Pike but over the years it has become too mocha flavored. This is my daily coffee so it's not like I went away from it and then suddenly came back and forgot what it tasted like. My dilemma is that I really dislike coffee with mocha undertones. I prefer my coffee to be a little more bitter. It's weird but not only do I dislike coffee with hints of mocha but it also seems to make my head hurt. Are there any other coffees that are out there. It seems like coffees I used to like are changing flavor.

how about trying out good Sumatra?
if you haven't, you must. A good Sumatra can be an excellent coffee tasting experience, but for bad ones???!!! it can get really ugly due to it's process called Giling Basah (wet hulling)

A good one should have less brightness and acidity, but it has much smoother and fuller bodied taste, along with mushroomy, earthy, herbaceous and bit spicy.
it would be very interesting experience for you.

As for your "bitterness" in coffee matter, I am not so certain that is the right description that you want to convey, but if you really want your coffee to be bitter, just RE-HEAT your coffee. or let it sit on the pot for few hours, then, surely, it will get bitter. But I doubt it that is what you really want to drink.

Mike from encore coffee co (Musicphan is coffee forum user name) told me that he has some really good and freshly roasted Sumatra, so you might want to give him a ring. www.encorecoffeeco.com is his web. Actually, I am about to order some from him.

good luck to you.
Alex from Ensoluna S.A.

PS: I also buys from PeterJSchmidt (forum user name) & JumpinJakJava (Bob is his name and JumpinJakjava is forum name). They are also great roasters and they always have some great and fresh coffee for our forum members.

Last edited:

remington79

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I haven't had Sumatra in a long time. I can't remember how long it's been. As for bitter you're right I'm not describing it properly. The reheated coffee tastes bad so that's not what I mean by bitter. I guess maybe sharp would be a better work. Thanks for the links I'm going to check them out.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Thanks Alex... the Sumatra I roast is a Giling Bash/Wet Hulled/Semi Wash coffee. It is lower in acidity, fuller body but not super earth like some Sumatrans. I had one customer state on my FB page it changed his mind about Sumatran coffees. To my surprise it is my best selling coffee.

I was also going to suggest a good Guatemalan coffee.. I know the Pike Place coffee is 'latin american'... but obviously that could mean a lot of things.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
... I know the Pike Place coffee is 'latin american'... but obviously that could mean a lot of things.

It does! Starbucks blends not only different origins, but also different grades because of the volume of roasting. You can't just shut off the roaster because you ran out of beans...

SKesler

Aug 16, 2016
Illinois
Visit site
Hey Remington79,

When you make coffee at home how to you typically brew it? Drip brewer? French Press? Espresso machine? I ask because depending on the brew method you maybe getting residual flavors from the residues and oils left behind from subsequent brews. I don't mean to insult your intelligence at all but I wanted to just put out there for you or anyone who may not have known that regular cleaning of your machines (And Carafes ect) will keep your coffees from being contaminated from all the stuff left behind from previous brews.

Now, I'm sure you're very aware of everything I just said so the next thing I wanted to point out was that maybe you just haven't found a coffee that really speaks to you. I also enjoy Starbucks Pike, but like many things from Starbucks it's "Good" but not "Great". That's not to say they don't have anything great, but I digress!

Right now I've been researching a lot of coffees (primarily for my website) and I have come across a world of coffee that I never knew existed. It's very exciting to tell you the truth. As it stands right now my favorites are Koffee Kult and Kicking horse coffees. They, in my opinion, are superior to many other roasts that I have tried in the past. Koffee Kult especially has an aroma that will drive you insane!

Both Kicking Horse and Koffee Kult have many different blends to choose from and I would highly recommend checking them out. I often times feature them on my website (TheBestCoffeeBeans.com) as they truly are both fantastic companies with fantastic products!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
SKesler,

Just a basic question to put this in perpective. If I visit your website and order Kicking Horse coffee, am I redirected to their site to make the purchase, and then you collect an affiliate fee?

Peaberry