Vanilla Sugar

BGrubb

Nov 16, 2016
Irvine, CA
Visit site
I buy this great vanilla sugar from Sur la Table. it's called Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar. It's made by Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, Inc. Great stuff but expensive! It's $16 for 8.5oz.

A lady at the store recommended making my own. They sell whole vanilla beans in a bottle, from the same Neilsen-Massey. I plan to take the two whole beans and add them to some normal sugar in the bottle the expensive stuff came with. She said the beans will infuse the sugar with the flavor. It's a lot less expensive - we'll see how it works.

Most of the time I use that sugar it is when I am using my Nespresso machine. I add the sugar directly to their cool milk heater/frother, called an Aeroccino. The milk still froths really well, and the froth is vanilla flavored. Even though my wife doesn't normally drink coffee, she'll drink a latte I make in this fashion.

Does anybody else have any interesting sweetener secrets?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
It is less expensive and very easy to make your own vanilla sugar. You will get the vanilla flavor quicker if you break the vanilla beans in half before putting them into the sugar. Shake the jar from time to time to mix the sugar with the vanilla beans. Let it set for about a week. You will be able to smell the vanilla as soon as you open the jar.

I often put some in a separate jar and then add some cinnamon. It makes a delicious vanilla-cinnamon sugar to put on toast.

As time goes on you may want to try using the vanilla beans (McCormick) from the supermarket. You'll get a good vanilla flavor from them too.

Rose

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
FYI I buy my beans on ebay due to the fact locally they were very expensive. Just do a bit of comparison, etc... there are all different types of grades and varietals of vanilla beans.