Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is coffee good for stoppng headaches?!?

My mom has always told me to drink black coffee when I get a headache! I was never really sure why. Is there some type of health benefit to drinking coffee?

Super Moderator
    Have you tried it? Does it work for you?

I take Excedrin when I get a headache, and it works for me. There is a small amount of caffeine in it, along with the other pain relieving ingredients. The caffeine helps get rid of the headache faster. It works for me - much better and faster than other pain relievers.

I dont belive it....

At least one prescription headache medication, Cafergot, used for migraine and cluster headaches, is a relative or derivative of caffeine. I am not qualified to say whether or not caffeine in a cup of coffee would be efficacious, but the idea does not seem unreasonable.

I know one thing and that is to get a headache I stop drinking coffee ....

Len
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." ~Flash Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeroastersclub View Post
    I know one thing and that is to get a headache I stop drinking coffee ....

Len
    Yep, that'll do it!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeroastersclub View Post
    I know one thing and that is to get a headache I stop drinking coffee .... Len
    But...why would you stop drinking coffee? it usually helps with my headaches

Quote Originally Posted by TNelson View Post
    My mom has always told me to drink black coffee when I get a headache! I was never really sure why. Is there some type of health benefit to drinking coffee?
    Yes, supposedly there are a lot of health benefits, but only very few are proven. You can get all the info from internet. As for the headache thing, I get headaches when I stop drinking coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by DLRuth View Post
    But...why would you stop drinking coffee? it usually helps with my headaches
    Where the heck is the eye rolling emoticon?
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." ~Flash Rosenberg

Understand that caffeine, whether you get it from Excedrin tablets, No-Doze tablets, coffee, tea, caffeinated soft drinks, or chocolate, is a physically addictive drug. The addiction is a very mild one, and the withdrawal symptoms are that from 24-48 hours after you stop drinking coffee (or stop ingesting caffeine in the other forms) you will be prone to relatively mild headaches. Then they stop until the next time you begin regularly ingesting caffeine, followed by a sudden stop.

I learned this from my Doctor years ago, after repeatedly getting Saturday afternoon headaches, because back then I only drank coffee at work. The answer was to drink coffee on Saturday and Sunday as well. The wife and daughter could not tolerate coffee without stomach upset, so I was usually the only coffee drinker, unless we had guests. The wife decided she didn't mind after she realized that coffee grounds are natural organic repellents for some of the insect pests that trouble her vegetables and flowers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links