Is coffee good for stoppng headaches?!?

TNelson

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
My mom has always told me to drink black coffee when I get a headache! I was never really sure why. Is there some type of health benefit to drinking coffee?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Have you tried it? Does it work for you?

I take Excedrin when I get a headache, and it works for me. There is a small amount of caffeine in it, along with the other pain relieving ingredients. The caffeine helps get rid of the headache faster. It works for me - much better and faster than other pain relievers.

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
At least one prescription headache medication, Cafergot, used for migraine and cluster headaches, is a relative or derivative of caffeine. I am not qualified to say whether or not caffeine in a cup of coffee would be efficacious, but the idea does not seem unreasonable.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
My mom has always told me to drink black coffee when I get a headache! I was never really sure why. Is there some type of health benefit to drinking coffee?
Yes, supposedly there are a lot of health benefits, but only very few are proven. You can get all the info from internet. As for the headache thing, I get headaches when I stop drinking coffee.

KaiserJeep

Mar 6, 2016
Silicon Valley, CA
Visit site
Understand that caffeine, whether you get it from Excedrin tablets, No-Doze tablets, coffee, tea, caffeinated soft drinks, or chocolate, is a physically addictive drug. The addiction is a very mild one, and the withdrawal symptoms are that from 24-48 hours after you stop drinking coffee (or stop ingesting caffeine in the other forms) you will be prone to relatively mild headaches. Then they stop until the next time you begin regularly ingesting caffeine, followed by a sudden stop.

I learned this from my Doctor years ago, after repeatedly getting Saturday afternoon headaches, because back then I only drank coffee at work. The answer was to drink coffee on Saturday and Sunday as well. The wife and daughter could not tolerate coffee without stomach upset, so I was usually the only coffee drinker, unless we had guests. The wife decided she didn't mind after she realized that coffee grounds are natural organic repellents for some of the insect pests that trouble her vegetables and flowers.

mantishugo

Oct 20, 2015
UK
Visit site
There is no enough reason why I drink coffee. The only thing I know is that I just love the taste of coffee. Coming to your question, coffee is good for stopping headache. I have noticed its effect too.