Is Bulletproof Coffee Good For You?

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
So I just recently heard about Bulletproof coffee and was interested in it. It's a strange concoction of coffee, butter, and this thing called brain octane oil which is a coconut oil derivative. Me being medically inclined (I'm a nurse btw), I instantly thought, huh. Is this even good for you? So I made this neat little video of each ingredient and some of it's goods and bads about it. Has anyone tried Bulletproof coffee? What do you think about it?

AKGSA

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
My 80+ year old neighbor swears by it....and runs circles around me all summer. I tried it, and had a difficult time choking it down. The key i believe was grain-fed fancy butter i think. It was expensive and hard to find. Ive gone back to homebrewed beers and bourbon. I'm much happier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

aroaster83

Dec 30, 2012
Portland, OR
Visit site
Short response: Snake oil.
Long response: There are no peer-reviewed, scientific studies confirming any of his claims. The premise is that the "upgraded beans" (red flag 1) have reduced mycotoxins. These are nasty little toxins produced by fungi that plague crops. So, essentially, all beans but Bulletproof beans have high enough levels of these to harm your mental capacity (red flag 2). Adding special butter to the coffee makes it a super food (red flag 3). The claims are half-truths basically. Not false enough to outright condemn, not true enough to fully support, and not scientifically vetted by any stretch of the imagination.

Mycotoxins are not very susceptible to heat, being destroyed by exposure temperature and time. Not temperature alone. A study conducted in 1980 found that at an exposure temperature of 200C at an exposure time of 12 minutes the toxin detected was reduced by 79%. This is nice and all but lab science does not equal "coffee science." A roaster going light isn't going to roast a coffee at that temp for that period, hitting 200C around 8 minutes on a standard roast curve. The coffee will develop for another 4-8 minutes depending on roast level.

They can be controlled and prevented by storing coffee properly, buying coffee that has undergone rigorous quality control (most 80+ specialty coffees, but really green defects are what we're concerning about here), and if you really want to play it safe getting those oil laden dark roasts. However, if you buy coffee at all I wouldn't worry about it. You're not going to increase your brain power or energy with any product you can purchase anyways. Go for a run, read some books, exercise, eat healthier, etc. You can do wonders and spend your hard earned money, instead, on exponentially more delicious coffee.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Butter is butter, coconut oil is coconut oil. Don't waste your money buying a fancy name for the same thing. And all your getting is a chunk of animal and plant fat in your gut along with caffeine. Fills your stomach cause of the fat blobs, gives you energy because of the caffeine. Don't be mislead by anyone telling you otherwise.

Len

Jayzoll

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
mycotoxins are more prominent on low grown and poorly processed coffee - e.g foldgers. they dont like altitude because it is more stressful. a higher grown coffee with good processing and handling are all you need. the butter or oil, im vegan lol. but i did try this yrs ago and did not like the way it altered the flavor of the beverage. i want to experience coffee as coffee and focus on other areas of my nutrition plan for those nutrients and minerals. afterall, you cant just sit around drinking oiled and buttered coffee and magically turn into this fat burning machine...gotta do the training. but hey, dudes selling a lot of it - good for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coffee771

Dec 29, 2016
Texas
Visit site
I have tried it and I loved it. At the time, I was detoxing from sugar and grain and was having problems with eating enough. So, I would blend up some coffee, butter, coconut oil, and some cocoa powder together every morning before heading off to work. It helped me stay energized all morning while also preventing me from getting hungry, even though I had eaten breakfast, an hour after eating. However, it does take some getting use to, and you definitely ease yourself into it. At the beginning, I would only use 1tsp of butter and 1tsp of coconut oil. From there it was trial and error to find the right balance for me.

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I've heard this works well with a keto diet since, when on that diet, you decrease the amount of carbs you take in so your body has to burn some form of fuel. This is where the fat in the coffee comes in. Your body can burn that along with whatever you eat that day. In that instance, I can see it being good for you but taking in 2 types of fats, not sure about that. I think a lot of it is snake oil and a bunch of mumbo jumbo

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I've heard this works well with a keto diet since, when on that diet, you decrease the amount of carbs you take in so your body has to burn some form of fuel. This is where the fat in the coffee comes in. Your body can burn that along with whatever you eat that day. In that instance, I can see it being good for you but taking in 2 types of fats, not sure about that. I think a lot of it is snake oil and a bunch of mumbo jumbo

Diabetics on keto or LCHF diets say its a good way to get fat into their diet, they also say butter and coconut oil are good types of fat. Not all diabetics are over weight so adding fat to their diet can help them maintain their weight while keeping the carbs down. While bulletproof coffee sounds pretty disgusting to me I suppose it has it's place.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
When you drink things like this, it makes think to myself, no wonder America is overweight. if you are taking that many calories in a coffee, how many other calories are you taking in through your other consumption. Butter has saturated fats, unless I am mistaken, shouldn't one be controlling the amount of saturated fat one consumes ?

Then again, you might be chasing a bag of potato chips with that coffee and the whole argument is lost on you.

lizthorn

Eh, the guy who 'invented' it is a very clever marketer and basically touts it as a panacea for all of life's ills. I think it's harmless at best. If you think you have an issue with sugar, and the subsequent crash go for it. Don't expect the moon though.

FireDragon76

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Why not just use coconut milk in coffee, instead of coconut oil? Coconut milk in coffee works great.

There's nothing wrong with saturated fat in moderation, but it can be overdone.

Grass-fed butter is a good idea, since it has a lot more nutrients. I'm just not sure I'd want my coffee that oily.

I've been putting collagen in my coffee. It's a good substitute for drinking bone broth.

coffeeswings

May 8, 2021
Visit site
It's creamy and lively. It will aid in the burning of fat, allowing you to lose weight. If you're wondering what bulletproof coffee keto is, you've come to the right place. So let me tell you that ketosis is the secret ingredient in bulletproof coffee weight loss. Because of MCT oil, it also helps you focus and quiet your mind, resulting in enhanced memory function. It will lower blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

Ref: https://coffeeswings.com