French Press Taste

Santos

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Was just wandering how coffee from a French press should taste and I can't seem to get a straight answer from people so I came here. I have noticed its a lot smoother then my drip maker but to me I feel the taste should be really strong or is that my misunderstanding? My wife says the taste is good, lots of flavor and the strength is fine. So should the French press have a stronger tasting flavor then a drip maker or is this me just over thinking it?

DLRuth

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
It would depend on how strong you are making your coffee. What are you using as a coffee to water ratio? A good starting point would be about 1:12, so for every gram of ground coffee you are using you should have 12 grams of water. Grind size also matters, you want a bit courser than you would for drip.

Santos

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Not to sure about ratio but I am using boutique 50g of ground coffee and the press holds 4 cups of water. The coffee is very smooth and with a lot of flavor.

lizthorn

The tough part of a french press is getting those ratios perfect. It's a lot easier said than done... it def comes with a steep learning curve.

If you're an expert, maybe you could squeeze a better cup out of the press. If you're willing to put that time and effort into it, and deal with a bunch of bad brews before you get it right... go for it.

Or just go with the drip. It's totally fine :coffee:

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
Was just wandering how coffee from a French press should taste and I can't seem to get a straight answer from people so I came here. I have noticed its a lot smoother then my drip maker but to me I feel the taste should be really strong or is that my misunderstanding? My wife says the taste is good, lots of flavor and the strength is fine. So should the French press have a stronger tasting flavor then a drip maker or is this me just over thinking it?

I found this video super interesting in terms of particle size when grinding coffee. Which is especially important when brewing with a French press. It's important for any method of brewing really. Take a looks. Cheers! :coffee:

Latest posts