Grinder static/winter time

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I have a Baratza Virtuoso and in the winter the static can get pretty messy. Any other time tapping on the bin a bit is all I have to do but in the winter it isn't just the bin, the shoot and body seem to get static so when I remove the bin grounds would fly. Some where I read to add a few drops of water to the beans in the hopper helped so I gave it a try and it does work. I only grind 2 to 3 tablespoons at a time and add 3 drops of water from an eye dropper.

I did email Barazta and asked if this would cause a problem and they replied saying it shouldn't. I'm pretty good about cleaning it monthly and after four years of adding water I don't see any rusting or pits on the burrs. The only thing I had to do to this grinder is replace the plastic ring the that holds the ring burr, some how one of the little tabs that hold the burr in broke.

I was just wondering if any one else does this or what you do to cut down on static in the winter. I do run a humidifier but it doesn't help the beans.

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
That is the right technique to help with the dry winter season. This is called the Ross Droplet Technique (RDT) and you can Google it to find out more but it is quite usual for many grinders to required the RDT. You could also keep your beans in small Mason jar in the freezer and take them out just when you need them. This will also add some humidity and also have the advantage of keeping your beans fresh as long as they are well sealed in the freezer.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Thanks Seb, it's all coming back to me now and I believe it was the thread at the home-barista site where I got the info using an eye dropper. Some of those images I remember.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I have a cheap and dirty little mist spray bottle. It is the kind people use when they iron their clothes, those that still do iron their clothes. It makes a nice light mist of water over a rather wide spray range. I do a small spritze over the beans before I pour into the grinder, and it just works. No static. Makes clean up trivial.

Last edited: