Hawaiian coffee?

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I recently did a video of some of the history of coffee in Hawaii along with reviewing where Kona coffee, one of the largest types of coffee that can be found in Hawaii. I've never personally had Kona coffee but it sounds absolutely tasty and I even learned there's a Kona coffee festival!

Have any of you ever had Kona coffee or any other kind of coffee in Hawaii? How was it? Is it worth the 20 dollars for a bag?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
to me, it is not really worth the money. You can find much better tasting coffee from Ethiopia, Kenya and Guatemala with half the prices.

The only reason they have to charge their coffee so expensive is because it is from Hawaii, the most expensive coffee growing origin in the world. (however, very good marketing though... like JBM & Luwak)

In similar perspective, I personally believe that Ethiopia coffee is much better than Guatemalan coffee even though "general pricing" of Ethiopia coffee is much lower than Guatemalan. It is mainly because GDP of Ethiopia is $505 per capita and Guatemala is $3500 per capita. Basically, Labor cost affects big portion of coffee pricing.

Last edited:

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I think part of it is that Hawaii, you have to ship it out EVERYWHERE. That and it being such a small area and in turn less growing space for the coffee in comparison to other countries drives the price up