Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: Did you know?

@ensoluna, where are you getting this information? It really is pretty cool to know the story behind my favorite drink. Keep on posting.

Quote Originally Posted by ellamor1993 View Post
    @ensoluna, where are you getting this information? It really is pretty cool to know the story behind my favorite drink. Keep on posting.
    some are from my own experience in green coffee business, in Guatemala. some are from just research. I am glad that you are enjoying my postings. thanks again ellamor.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Did you know that acidity is one of the most important qualities in coffee?

Every good coffee needs some acidity with great aroma & body. (BTW, please do not get confuse it with sourness or bitterness).

Acidity is a sharp and vibrant taste (like "tingling" sensation on each side of the tongue).

However, most of Asian do not like this acidity. No wonder that most of JBM and Kona goes to Japan & Korea.

Personal note : we have some Korean missionary people in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala where I work. They buy from us, roasted beans. but they do not like the coffee from huehuetenango or from our own farm where is in high altitude. They told me that they do not want the acidity in their coffee, so we specially get some coffee from Coban (lower altitude without much acidity and much smoother coffee) for them.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Everyone knows what is Arabica or Robusta coffee right? well... almost everyone.

anyway, do you know what is Arabica means?
    Arabica was first grown in the southwestern highlands of Ethiopia, southeastern Sudan, Yemen and Kenya.
    Hence the name Arabica which means "from Arabia"

as for Robusta? I have absolutely no idea.
    does anyone knows?
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post
    Everyone knows what is Arabica or Robusta coffee right? well... almost everyone.

anyway, do you know what is Arabica means?
    Arabica was first grown in the southwestern highlands of Ethiopia, southeastern Sudan, Yemen and Kenya.
    Hence the name Arabica which means "from Arabia"

as for Robusta? I have absolutely no idea.
    does anyone knows?
    Robusta
    Robusta was discovered growing wild in the Belgian Congo (Zaire or Republic of Congo) in 1898. The name Robusta was originally the trade name of a Belgian horticultural house who marketed the species early in the 20th century after the Frenchman Emil Laurent had brought it to their attention.

The name is said to reflect the more robust nature of the taste and 'kick' that it is noted for delivering. It is the second most widely cultivated coffee shrub currently producing about 25% of the world’s coffee beans. Generally recognised as having a lower quality taste than the Arabica bean which is why it is typically found in jars of instant coffee and supermarket cans of coffee. However, some astute coffee roasters add between 5-15% quality Robustas to a fine espresso blend to help give the coffee taste that morning ‘boost’.

Source: https://espressocoffee.quora.com/Cof...ca-and-Robusta

This is actually a pretty good read.

Did you know that bitterness is an essential part of the overall coffee taste? you did not know, didn't you :+) ?

A certain amount of bitterness rounds off the taste of coffee and specially balances the other flavors.

So, what makes some coffees more bitter than others? few factors.
    A. bean. Robusta (inferior bean) is bitter than Arabia.
    B. roasting. darker roast increases the bitterness. if you want to experiment, please go to Starbucks and order one "blonde" and "their regular pike coffee". then, you will know.
    C. brewing method. espresso tends to have a more bitter taste.

So, what is the other important question? how bitter your coffee should be?
    the answer should be "your personal choice/matter."

as example, I love dark chocolate, but not super dark. but my kids, just love regular milk chocolate.
    for coffee, I guess it depends on the varieties of beans and methods. but generally, I rather taste sweetness over bitterness in my cup.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Did you know coffee berry is cherry?
    when is a berry a cherry? when it hasn't been a bean!

I am not trying to confuse you, but the fruit of the coffee plant undergoes several name changes before it finally becomes coffee.

Coffee cherries (aka coffee berries) is the name given to the fruit of the coffee plant when they are still on the tree or have just been picked but not yet dried.
    It is only once they are dried and hulled that they are known as green coffee beans.

PS: Yes, I know. for most of members, this is coffee 101. but for coffee beginners, specially for ESL coffee beginners, this might help a bit. :+)

Did you know?-coffee-cherry-1.jpg
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Did you know that there aren't some special espresso beans?
    you don't really need special kind of bean to make espresso. Because it is not a bean, or a blend or even a type of roast.

Developed in Italy in 1884, Espresso is a method of brewing coffee by forcing hot water thru finely ground coffee. The result is a more concentrated brew than drip coffee. You can use any type of coffee bean to make espresso, but usually a dark and medium roast is preferred, because dark roasts reduce the acidity that is caused by the espresso method of making coffee.

This is what leads to the technically incorrect labeling of dark roasted coffee beans as espresso beans.

PS: when I googled the images of "espresso beans", I got below photos. (I just love those dark chocolate covered roasted coffee beans :+)

Did you know?-c2b8d67b5aee21d0.jpgDid you know?-chocolate-espresso-beans-package-product.jpgDid you know?-dark-chocolate-espresso-beans_6.jpgDid you know?-s409544386240942683_p8_i2_w600.jpeg
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Did you know that people use one of the worst quality Arabica beans to make flavored coffee? I guess for the obvious reason. As bad the coffee quality (green coffee) gets, less good characteristics the coffee has (aroma, flavors...etc), so people add different types of flavors, such as vanilla, cinnamon, amaretto...etc (sometimes, people add extra caffeine and claims that they have the "strongest coffee" in the world, not even knowing the definition of "strongest coffee".

by the way, flavored coffees have been around for CENTURIES and regularly found on supermarket shelves (anything found on supermarket shelves, you need to avoid).

Creating coffee flavor is a bit of science and a bit of art. Many ingredients might be needed to achieve just the right note. Coffee producers usually add the flavors after the beans have been roasted, in the form of a sprayed liquid.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

did you know there are two types of Macchiato? one small and one big size like below photo???? No no nonono....

one is cafe macchiato which is an espresso "stained" with a bit of milk or foam on top.
    the other is Latte Macchiato. A glass of hot milk "stained" with a shot (or two, or three in my case) of espresso.

these are very different drinks, so please make it sure which one you want to order.

Did you know?-macchiato.jpg
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links