Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you know?

regards to what you just have commented, just 30 min ago, I did some experiment on acidity.
    15 grams of Kenya, Roasted just a week ago by Bob (jumpinjakjava in our forum, with 8 oz 193 F degree water. Before I press, i let it soak for one min. paper filter.

same thing, but second one, I let it soak for two min before I extracted the coffee.

Second one tasted much stronger, and double the acidity than the first one.

I believe that depends on the ground (extra fine / fine..etc) size and soaking time make HUGE DIFFERENCE in taste, specially acidity.

Seb
    The are so many parameters that can affect this like you just tried. For the same coffee and on the same Aeropress, grind size, regular or inverted method, brew temp, contact time, stir or no stirring, paper filter, coarse or fine metal filter, etc.. But there is also the perceived acidity and the real titratable acidity. For example, my icewine at the winery is at 12,5g/L TA which is very high and would taste awefully acidic if the wine was dry. But with around 200g/L of residual sugar it is a very sweet dessert wine that do not taste acidic at all, it taste of course very sweet with all that sugar. The acidity is in direct correlation with the sweetness for the proper balance so if the sweetness change from the brewing method it will change his balance. If the tasting temperature change it will affect the balance. So Yes, the Aeropress give coffee that taste sweeter but it could have the exact same acidity (g/L).

Did you know that 3% to 5% of yellow Bourbon comes with 3 seeds in one cherry?
    Everyone knows that Peaberry is one seed in a cherry. But not whole lot of people knows that it is also common to find 3 seeds in one cherry in Yellow Bourbon.
    Below photo is from Finca Colombia in Antigua where specialize in Yellow bourbon and Yellow Caturra.

Did you know?-img_20160212_091826.jpg

Some of coffee farms in Guatemala makes their own Organic pesticides by using Pepsi/Coke plastic bottles.
    They do this basically because it is much cheaper to make themselves rather than buying from companies.
    But the question is how FTO can control or inspect this in daily base whether these home made pesticides are really all organic.....

Did you know?-win_20140808_101623.jpgDid you know?-win_20140808_101750.jpgDid you know?-win_20140808_101839.jpgDid you know?-win_20140808_102140.jpg

Hey......do they use the chaff from coffee roasting ? I have been giving it to family, friends and neighbours as it acts as a pesticide.

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by wmark View Post
    Hey......do they use the chaff from coffee roasting ? I have been giving it to family, friends and neighbours as it acts as a pesticide.
    Really? Do you have more infos about that? Really effective?

No body uses the chaff at the farm. Most of farms do not have Roaster. Even if they have, the chaff is just being discarded. And act as a pesticide? Never heard it in my life.
    Last edited by ensoluna; 02-05-2017 at 11:16 AM.

I can't remember who told me about it. You cannot put it on very young plants as it burns the leaves but I have been using it for years. It seems to keep the bugs away. I have a growing demand for the stuff as it does appear to work. Now if only I could get money for it.

I thought it might be something that you would have access to and it is free.

Just came back from Superbowl party with amigo in coffee here in Colombia. he says they are selling the chaff to Ecuador
    Last edited by wmark; 02-05-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Did you know there is a coffee process method called, Double Soak Method (aka Kenya Method)
    One of many farms we work with, there is a farm that offers a special process that no other farms do. It is called Double Soak.
    After depulping the harvested coffee cherries, the coffee beans have small amount of sweet mucilage attached on the outside of the beans. The coffee is left in a fermentation tank where enzymes help break down the mucilage. After 14 to 24 hours, depends on the weather conditions, the coffee is sent thru water washing channels to remove the mucilage. (Up to here, this process is exactly same as a washed coffee).
    For Double Soak method, this coffee is then moved into an another special tank to soak for 24 hours. Then, the tank is emptied and the process gets repeated for another additional 18 to 24 hours.
    After the second time, the coffee can be moved to the patio for drying process.

Did you know?-16422860_1885758731707914_6243771958625726784_o.jpg

In Guatemala, Harvest season is the dry season, from November to Mid April.

during this time, it does not rain which is good for harvesting workers. However, this is extremely dusty time of the year, specially when you are visiting coffee farms in the mountains.
    Below photos were taken traveling thru the Huehue mountains visiting some farms.

Did you know?-win_20150302_120540.jpgDid you know?-win_20150302_120605-2-.jpgDid you know?-win_20150302_120709.jpgDid you know?-win_20150302_120720.jpg

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links