French Press vs Aeropress?

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
So lately, I decided I wanted to compare and contrast the two coffee makers, the French Press and the Aeropress. This was a toughie for me because I love both but for different reasons. I, however, came to a decision and made a video about it all here. Now which one do you like best and why?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
For me, I rather have Aeropress because it is more portable & durable & faster to make coffee (I travel a lot) and you can customize your coffee profile by using metal filter (if you want more robust flavor like French press) or water temp...etc

However, at home, I prefer French press. I just like the robust and flavorful taste that you get from French Press.
Personally, Aeropress give me too clean and smooth taste. Yes, it can be very good, but a lot of time, when you want to taste different varietals flavors, aeropress mutes them down.

birght_java

Great video javacentral.

Logistically the Aeropress is the best coffee maker ever. It's even better that cowboy coffee (tubruk here in Indonesia). I lived in an RV for 18 months and traveled all over the US in that time. Every morning I would wake up, pop the dried puck of grounds out of my aeropress from the day before, rinse the device and brew another cup of coffee. The whole thing packs up easily and the paper filters lasted me about a week before I threw them away. I have since moved on to a metal filter.

Cleanup is always a headache in a French Press.

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I can definitely see where you're at with the muting down the flavor from the Aeropress. The French Press gives such a rich and strong flavor, it's hard to match it.

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I've heard the metal filter is great, I just never tried it! I know on amazon you can get one pretty cheap but I love the paper filters personally. Maybe it's because I grew up with drip coffee but I really do like that flexibility the aeropress has.

I DEFINITELY agree with the clean up on the French Press. My gosh, I feel like I'm always finding hidden coffee grounds in it!

birght_java

I have three different metal filters for my AeroPress. They all serve the same purpose of giving more of a French Press flavor but my first one was a wire mesh filter. After a couple of months of use it became clogged and the only method I have found that is 100% effective in cleaning it is soaking it in bleach for an hour. Then I rinse it SEVERAL times. I also have two which is are a solid metal sheet but perforated with holes. The smaller the holes the better because at the grind I use one of my filters would also clog up after a few months of continued use. The only solution to that is some mindfulness time with a pin and a magnifying glass. It takes about 45 minutes to clean that out.

Last edited:

DLRuth

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
I have three different metal filters for my AeroPress. They all serve the same purpose of giving more of a French Press flavor but my first one was a wire mesh filter. After a couple of months of use it became clogged and the only method I have found that is 100% effective in cleaning it is soaking it in bleach for an hour. Then I rinse it SEVERAL times. I also have two which is are a solid metal sheet but perforated with holes. The smaller the holes the better because at the grind I use one of my filters would also clog up after a few months of continued use. The only solution to that is some mindfulness time with a pin and a magnifying glass. It takes about 45 minutes to clean that out.
Have you tried something like "Full Circle coffee equipment cleaner"? That is what I use to clean my espresso machine, it works really well at dissolving the coffee residue and oils, keeps my portafilters clean and clear. It might work on your Aeropress filters. I really like both Aeropress and French press, not sure which one I like better. It all depends on the day I suppose. Aeropress is a much smoother brew. As far as French Press being such a pain to clean, Espro and Simpli Press are both pretty easy on the clean up.

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
So lately, I decided I wanted to compare and contrast the two coffee makers, the French Press and the Aeropress. This was a toughie for me because I love both but for different reasons. I, however, came to a decision and made a video about it all here. Now which one do you like best and why?

I've not tried the aeropress before but I've used a French press for years. I'll have to try the aeropress before I can answer your question specifically however I can agree that the French press clean up is a headache. I don't like leaving it for when I got home from work and I don't like to leave the press soaking in water so that means I couldn't sleep in if I wanted a good cup of coffee in the A.M. Eventually I went back to drip coffee for the pure convenience of it. The taste of French pressed coffee can't be disputed. I frankly feel there is no better way to make coffee especially if you invest in a quality, fresh organic coffee.

FireDragon76

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I like Aeropress when I want to make several cups of coffee quickly. The only disadvantage is the price, and I have heard the Aeropress can eventually wear out (leading to hot water accidents potentially). The Aeropress is basically my moka pot substitute when I want to make cafe con leche or cafe americano.

If you can get a Vietnamese phin, that has all the pluses of the French press and produces a similar full-bodied cup of coffee in less time, but it is easier to clean up and generally cheaper to buy (4-5 dollars or so for a 4-6 ounce filter). I usually just use a medium drip grind, like Folgers in a can.

Last edited: