what are the most important factors to be a great Barista?

There are a lot of skills / habits / factors to be a great Barista. I have listed some. Can you tell us what would be the #1 most important factors, #2, #3 and so on?

* Consistency of creating great drinks
    * Passion in what they do
    * Obssession over Cleanliness
    * Knowledge about coffee to properly educate their customers
    * Teamwork among co-workers
    * Conscientiousness / carefulness
    * Finally, HAVING A LOT OF AWESOME TATTOO! (specially on their necks and back of their ears) By the way, how much of tattoo is too much or can be said acceptable?

what are the most important factors to be a great Barista?-vnfzlu7eegqtqdhm-copy.jpgwhat are the most important factors to be a great Barista?-8d4e4757e06acadea19f59a49280e241-copy.jpgwhat are the most important factors to be a great Barista?-11142907_1589208534654985_565463944_n-copy.jpgwhat are the most important factors to be a great Barista?-2024509191-780x0-copy.jpgwhat are the most important factors to be a great Barista?-images-copy.jpg

Super Moderator
    To be a great barista I think you have to have all of the first 6 traits...you left out PMA. Positive mental attitude. You need to be friendly first. I see baristas in a lot of places acting as if they are better than everyone else...and feel bad when people order incorrectly and get shamed. As for tattoos...you can never have too many.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    To be a great barista I think you have to have all of the first 6 traits...you left out PMA. Positive mental attitude. You need to be friendly first. I see baristas in a lot of places acting as if they are better than everyone else...and feel bad when people order incorrectly and get shamed. As for tattoos...you can never have too many.
    You are absolutely right about PMA because I also have seen many with really arrogant attitude.
    As for tattoos, I know that you have some. Can you post some of your tattoos?

Interesting that you included obsession with cleanliness, something too often overlooked. When I first set out to learn how to make better coffee, somewhere I read, Sweet Maria's maybe, that good water, good coffee, good brewing technique, and scrupulous cleanliness were all equally important. I took that to heart and have lived by that advice ever since.

Customer service skills and a positive attitude. I'll go back to a barista with semi-good coffee, but I'll never go back to a bad attitude no matter how good the coffee is. It's a problem at our location (Alaska). One of the larger reasons I invested in a machine for our office.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think one of the most important things is to be truly passionate about coffee and connecting with others. For instance, you'd be more willing to be invested emotionally with your customers and fellow workers and even the work. Ultimately, I think this passion is communicated and makes experiences better for the customer and the worker.

Hey Alex, hope you're having a great time in Guatemala! Of course because of your Facebook posts, I already know the answer to that! Thought I'd jump in here and throw in my two cents. I guess being a good barista should be similar to being a good bartender but it really isn't. Because of Starbucks, the most common experience tends to be more similar to interacting with a fast food employee than a bartender, and people just don't have that level of expectation from a barista. This is truly sad. I think if more Baristas took to heart a bit of advice given to me along the way, there would be more exceptional baristas in the world... and that advice is to treat people as though they were holding a big sign that says "Make me feel important"! In my opinion it is the ability to do this that raises a barista from someone proficient in the art of pouring coffee drinks to someone who knows how to build repeat business.
    Last edited by Mr.Peaberry; 02-28-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    Just ask Mike Tyson...........he has one too many tattoo

The town where I live. I am aware of only one "true" barista. A classically Italian trained guy who told me he went to school for 2 years to train. He said it is the grind

Super Moderator
    When Mike Tyson got that tattoo my friends who own several tattoo shops offered it as a free tattoo..no one took them up on the offer.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links