excelsa coffee beans?

FireDragon76

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Anybody know if companies like Sweet Marias have excelsa coffee beans? In the past month I have really been getting into Vietnamese coffee and I'm surprised that even though these coffees are dark and rich, they don't have as much caffeine necessarily as single origin arabica, and it's partly due to the presence of excelsa beans. Nor are they as bitter as coffee from other regions.

I have been drinking Trung Nguyen's Sang Tao 8 and it's very good stuff, though pricey- it's an artificial weasel coffee made from arabica and excelsa beans. Their instant coffee is also decent. But I'd like to get my hands on some single origin excelsa beans.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Anybody know if companies like Sweet Marias have excelsa coffee beans? In the past month I have really been getting into Vietnamese coffee and I'm surprised that even though these coffees are dark and rich, they don't have as much caffeine necessarily as single origin arabica, and it's partly due to the presence of excelsa beans. Nor are they as bitter as coffee from other regions.

I have been drinking Trung Nguyen's Sang Tao 8 and it's very good stuff, though pricey- it's an artificial weasel coffee made from arabica and excelsa beans. Their instant coffee is also decent. But I'd like to get my hands on some single origin excelsa beans.

You can always call SM and ask about Excelsa, however, I doubt they have them because it is mostly being used as a house blends in order to add bit of complexity and depth.

Excelsa does not have as much of caffeine as Robusta from Vietnam because it is a variety of Liberica plant which is Arabica.
And personally, I am not really into "poop coffee" such as Luwak, Black Ivory and even Vietnam's Weasel coffee. (by the way, what is "artificial weasel coffee"? isn't it artificial enough already?!)

it does not have a great taste profile, but if you really enjoy "Trung Nguyen" coffee, i guess real 100% excelsa beans will be step up for you.
try at below amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/Dalat-Excelsa-Whole-Coffee-Ounce/dp/B008A0ADBS

FireDragon76

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
The coffee is made with an enzyme wash, meant to resemble weasel coffee. It's very low acid and not very bitter. Aeropress or the Vietnamese phin is the only good way to make the coffee, I find the paper drip method clogs up for some reason, the grind is almost like moka pot grind.

Last edited:

Latest posts