Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Ensoluna, I'm on to my next coffee brand and have done an amateur cupping. It's a Guatemala Huehuetenango. I've never purchased from this company before and they have pretty decent ratings as far as the product is concerned. One of my concerns is freshness and working with an online company how can I ensure that what I'm actually getting is fresh coffee? I've done that baggie thing as well and not much gas coming from these beans. So what do you do in cases like this?
    "There's coffee in that nebula."- Katherine Janeway

Make sure you don't have a hole in the plastic bag. Do the beans have a date on the bag when they were roasted? I decided I'm only buying beans that have a roasted on date, but also realize that's not a guarantee, they could put any date on there they want, so I'm interested in hearing some more on how you tell if the coffee is freshly roasted. I just started trying different vendors and this is a concern.

The other thing I never see on these sites is them mentioning how old the green beans are they are using.

Please help us out here guys!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveCoffeeLife View Post
    Ensoluna, I'm on to my next coffee brand and have done an amateur cupping. It's a Guatemala Huehuetenango. I've never purchased from this company before and they have pretty decent ratings as far as the product is concerned. One of my concerns is freshness and working with an online company how can I ensure that what I'm actually getting is fresh coffee? I've done that baggie thing as well and not much gas coming from these beans. So what do you do in cases like this?
    there is no way of ensuring the coffee you get is fresh specially via on line. many cases, these on line companies buy "old beans" which means more than year old green beans, at much cheaper pricing and roast and sell them at slightly discounted pricing, but they will never tell you that they are selling bad old beans.

also, they try to hide the old bean flavors, so they tend to roast dark.

Getting the "freshly roasted beans" is one thing, but no one can tell those green beans are too old green beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffyjr View Post
    Make sure you don't have a hole in the plastic bag. Do the beans have a date on the bag when they were roasted? I decided I'm only buying beans that have a roasted on date, but also realize that's not a guarantee, they could put any date on there they want, so I'm interested in hearing some more on how you tell if the coffee is freshly roasted. I just started trying different vendors and this is a concern.

The other thing I never see on these sites is them mentioning how old the green beans are they are using.

Please help us out here guys!
    The plastic bags don't have any holes. I did more than one pouch to be sure. Also, there is no roasted on date: only a "074" on the bottom of the bag not sure what that means then there's an expiration date of 03/01/2018. That's the extent of it. While I was cupping there wasn't much of that fine foam either. I think I may have gotten a bad bag. That's a good point on the green beans I'd been considering that as well. I was wondering if they are like other beans and considered to have a long shelf life?

Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post
    there is no way of ensuring the coffee you get is fresh specially via on line. many cases, these on line companies buy "old beans" which means more than year old green beans, at much cheaper pricing and roast and sell them at slightly discounted pricing, but they will never tell you that they are selling bad old beans.

also, they try to hide the old bean flavors, so they tend to roast dark.

Getting the "freshly roasted beans" is one thing, but no one can tell those green beans are too old green beans.
    Ah.. ok so the green beans are viable up to a year? I was wondering about that when I started to get serious about learning coffee. As I mentioned to DuffyJr, there wasn't much of that fine foam during the cupping and read that that may be an indicator as well that the beans aren't so fresh. Maybe I need to give it more time in the bag it's only been in there since Friday and Saturday. So does that mean anything? I also bought an artisan roast called Dark Nebula and I placed it in a bag on Friday and the Guatemalan Huehuetenago in the bad on Saturday. There is a bit more gas in the Guatemalan bags than in the Dark Nebula bags. I'm at a loss as to whether I should say something to the company or not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links