First FP (French Press)

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I have to admit I didn't think I would like a french press because I've always preferred filtered coffee over the reusable filter baskets you can use for drippers, I've always went back to using filters. Now that I've tried a FP and liked it I'm thinking the baskets may of not been the issue but it was the dirpper.

A few weeks ago a coworker and I were talking and we both decided we needed a way to make better coffee at work. We have a nice commercial Bunn and if you use good coffee it makes good coffee but of course the coffee they have deliver is not good. The nice thing is it dispenses 200 degree water. After tossing around an Aeropress and an actual french press I ran across this.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9ZTL6U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I ordered a couple of them and gave one to my coworker and they are perfect for work. They make a tasty cup and clean up is fairly easy with it being an all in one setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
it seems like the design allows the coffee ground to be in water as long as you are drinking the coffee.
The reason that the coffee needs to be removed by certain time from FP is that over-extraction.
Over-extraction will make your coffee bitter as times goes by.
I have never used that cup from Amazon, but when I looked at the photos, I could see the over-extraction problem.
and other problem could be.... plastic cup tasting. also, for people who uses "blade" grinder, the small sediments will definitely go thru more and more as time goes by.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
I didn't take the over extraction into consideration but since it only makes 10 oz it only takes me 15 minutes to drink. So far I haven't notice it getting bitter but I've only used it a few times and it's just for an occasional cup at work, I usually don't drink coffee during the day except on weekends.

A lot of the reviews were people using it for hiking or camping because there's not much to it and it's super light.

All valid things to take into consideration though, thanks Alex.

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
Congrats on the FP it's an awesome way to brew. Messy and clean up is a pain but overall worth it. Also you'll need to replace that strainer from time to time to keep things awesome.

To prevent over extraction in my novice opinion, I'd get a decanter or separate coffee carafe to store hot coffee in. Double walled or insulated is fine. I think Amazon has some of those too. Target or Walmart of any place at all that sells household items. :coffee: When I used a FP on a regular basis I found that I had to have extra time in the morning, then I relegated FP coffee to weekends only.