Third Wave Water

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I generally would agree with you Alex but people seem to have positive feedback on the product. Basically it's a mineral capsule... take a gallon of distilled water and add capsule. Basically doing what a good filtration system should be doing. I decided to pop down $15.. I'll let ya know what i think.

bigdaub

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, Taylor of Third Wave Water here. I know it sounds funky but its not a gimmick. Like @Musicphan said its just a precise mixture of minerals. The Classic Profile has magnesium sulfate, calcium citrate and sodium chloride with a total TDS of around 150. The Espresso Profile has magnesium sulfate, calcium citrate and potassium bicarbonate also with around a 150 TDS but with ~35KH of buffer. As the owner of a coffee roaster I was looking for a way to easily instruct my customers on what water to use and like many of you know it is not so easy. This starts from a neutral base (either distilled or RO) and you add the minerals without being a Walter White in the kitchen (mg scales and bags of white powder).

If you have any questions about it just let me know. I have been on coffeeforums for a little while. Here are a few links to some projects that I have done in the pasts.
The (Semi-Volumetric) Restoration - Album on Imgur
Roaster Upgrade Ambex YM-15 - Album on Imgur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwgSLSTCqr8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdjFPbzBGjM

Cheers,
Taylor

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
hello Taylor Minor.
thanks for your explanation.

i have a question to ask you. since I do not know anything about your product, except what you posted here, to say frankly, I do not know how good of capsule that is to make the water really better for the coffee.

for me, I do cupping for living. Because I have to cup all different coffees with my overseas customers in order to sell the green beans from Guatemala to other countries. as far as cupping water is concerned, SCAA says that we need clean/fresh odor free, with 0 mg chlorine, 150 mg/L TDS (75-250mg/L acceptable), 68mg/L calcium Hardness, 40 mg/L Alkalinity, 6.5 to 7.5 pH, close to 10mg sodium.

it looks like a lot of confusing data for cupping water, but BASICALLY, it states that we need a clean "drinking bottled water"!
If you have "good drinking bottled water", this water statistics meet all the requirement numbers.

So, my question is that if I use your Third Wave Water for cupping, you are saying that the cupping score (flavors, aromas) will be significantly better than using just "clean drinking bottled water"?

And when you make a good pour over with regular good drinking bottled water vs. your Third wave water, anyone, most of people who drinks coffee, can tell the quality of flavor/aroma difference?

by the way, my name is Alex. Ensoluna S.A. in Guatemala

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, Taylor of Third Wave Water here.
If you have any questions about it just let me know. I have been on coffeeforums for a little while. Here are a few links to some projects that I have done in the pasts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwgSLSTCqr8
Cheers, Taylor
Hi taylor Minor. I checked out this youtube link you sent us. "the telemetry coffee roaster" in this youtube is 100% correct EXCEPT HE SAID "you'd better off buying a cheap coffee maker and a quality coffee grinder". I truly believe that "A cheap coffee maker" will ruin your good coffee.

You can have most expensive grinder (Burr) there is along with $100 per pound Geisha, but if your coffee maker is cheap, it will NOT deliver optimum water temp into the coffee, in the right time range. Normally cheap machines delivery way around 160F to 170F water into the coffee to infuse (which is definitely no no!) and take too long to finish the water delivery.

so, in my opinion, buying a good (expensive in a way) coffee maker is even more important than expensive burr grinder.

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
And when you make a good pour over with regular good drinking bottled water vs. your Third wave water, anyone, most of people who drinks coffee, can tell the quality of flavor/aroma difference?

I will certainly let Taylor respond.. from my experience water quality can have a big impact on perceived flavor. There was at one time a company called Cirqua who provided a high end water processing equipment. Basically it was a RO system which made distilled water then re-mineralize the water. At the big trade shows they would hand out bottles of water out of their system. When I tried this water vs. our tap water (very clean) I was blown away by the difference. I just purchased the book.. its WAY in the weeds but if you're interested it appears to be one of the better books on the topic.

https://waterforcoffeebook.com/products/water-for-coffee

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I will certainly let Taylor respond.. from my experience water quality can have a big impact on perceived flavor. There was at one time a company called Cirqua who provided a high end water processing equipment. Basically it was a RO system which made distilled water then re-mineralize the water. At the big trade shows they would hand out bottles of water out of their system. When I tried this water vs. our tap water (very clean) I was blown away by the difference. I just purchased the book.. its WAY in the weeds but if you're interested it appears to be one of the better books on the topic.

https://waterforcoffeebook.com/products/water-for-coffee

tap water?! I am sure that tap water contains "chlorine"???? which is absolutely No No for coffee water.

anyway, I certainly do not mind trying it out.
I got exactly 11 days to go in Guatemala (Personally, being in Guatemala alone is bit tough. I lose about 9 pounds in 50 days... Not sure it is good for me or not. however, I have been eating great fruits mostly for breakfast and dinner. and Guatemalan lunch. that might be the reason. no more junk food here).

I can buy it via internet from here and when I get to home, I can try it out.
do my own cupping with my own water vs. 3rd wave water. try aeropress, pour over..etc. whatever.
then, I will know whether 3rd wave water is just a gimmick or something that I should really know about.....

then, i can post the result here!!!

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Out of curiosity ... has anyone tried Third Wave Water? I don't have a water filtration system at home and was thinking about trying this out.

Third Wave Water
by the way, where the heck this 3rd water company is located at? I checked the website every corner, but I could not find the company address anywhere. ... I do not think that I can trust a "virtual" company without a location :+)

bigdaub

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
by the way, where the heck this 3rd water company is located at? I checked the website every corner, but I could not find the company address anywhere. ... I do not think that I can trust a "virtual" company without a location :+)
I am in Cedarville Ohio. To be precise 83 N Main St, Cedarville, OH 45314

So, my question is that if I use your Third Wave Water for cupping, you are saying that the cupping score (flavors, aromas) will be significantly better than using just "clean drinking bottled water"?
Yes it will make your coffee taste better. We already have two farms that are using TWW for all there cupping Long Mile Coffee in Burundi & Jhai Coffee House in Laos. It can help their cupping samples taste better and they can give the water profile information to their potential buyers.

And yes Telemetry Coffee Roasters is me and I have to disagree about the coffee maker. I can take a $15 Mr Coffee and make "Golden Cup Ratio" coffee all day as long as the water is good and the grinder is good. The brew column water temperature stays at ~185F and gives thorough even extraction every time. Now this quality is not as good as a V60 but if you were to pit a V60 + a blade grinder (No sieves allowed :grin:) the best brewer couldn't touch a Mr. Coffee with a decent burr grinder. The target audience for that video was for people who wanted to make good coffee at home with a coffee maker. (they are most of my customers) so given those criteria I was making a guide for them. Other than that I would agree that the very best way would be to use a manual pour-over. (but that's why they come into my shop, I cant let them have all the secrets :wink:)

Cheers and thanks for the reply and questions. I am sure @Musicphan will post his results here when his TWW comes in the mail :grin:
Taylor

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I generally would agree with you Alex but people seem to have positive feedback on the product. Basically it's a mineral capsule... take a gallon of distilled water and add capsule. Basically doing what a good filtration system should be doing. I decided to pop down $15.. I'll let ya know what i think.
Mike / Musicphan was gracious enough to send me one capsule of 3rd water. Thanks Mike. What would be the best way of using this capsule? please let me know how you used it and how you liked it. thanks and have a good day, Mike.

17626104_1913346098949177_5215233549956505590_n.jpg