are disposable coffee pour overs the next big thing?

Ptrk81

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
i live on the Big Island of Hawaii and before i moved here never knew how big Kona coffee was. Im super into coffee now and really appreciate the good stuff these days. Heard about a farm here (Mongoose Mountain Coffee) who is going to start doing disposable coffee pour overs w/ 100% kona coffee. Sounds pretty cool. never have seen them before so i looked on line and saw a few coffee companies doing it. im kinda surprised actually that there aren't more disposable pour overs on the market right now. I definitely don't see them on the shelves of most grocery stores.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
i live on the Big Island of Hawaii and before i moved here never knew how big Kona coffee was. Im super into coffee now and really appreciate the good stuff these days. Heard about a farm here (Mongoose Mountain Coffee) who is going to start doing disposable coffee pour overs w/ 100% kona coffee. Sounds pretty cool. never have seen them before so i looked on line and saw a few coffee companies doing it. im kinda surprised actually that there aren't more disposable pour overs on the market right now. I definitely don't see them on the shelves of most grocery stores.
welcome to forum. when you say "disposable coffee pour over", do you mean the below photo style? also you said that 100% Kona coffee which is extremely expensive coffee for no reason. anyway, will it come in Ground? already packaged along with the disposable pour over?

hUBSLeG.jpg

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
by the way, I just checked the mongoose mountain coffee website.
as I expected, they are selling 16oz coffee at double the regular (but better coffee) pricing. But considering the labor cost in Hawaii, of course, I fully understand the pricing structure.

however, they are also selling K-cup at Kona coffee pricing.
This, I do not understand at all. But i guess if there are market and in demand, why not....

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Because it is! Most of forum members know that.
Most of Kona coffee plants were from Guatemala, mainly Typica coffee plants.
however, due to the soil conditions and lower altitude, it does not have the fine acidity and complexity that SHB typica is supposed to have.
As far as extremely expensive for no reason, I guess I made one error saying "no reason". there is a reason. Very high labor cost. As far as I know, it will probably cost a farm $6 to $9 for one pound of green bean, completely processed green bean. Compared to Guatemala Typica bean which has better cupping profile costs around $1.50 to $2.00 range per one pound.

Last edited:

Mongoose

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
here's some food for thought.....last year the going rate for pickers (and all they did was pick nothing else) was .75 a pound, now as Im sure you know it takes about 6 pounds of cherry to make 1 pound of green bean, at that rate not including the labor of pulping and drying, the maintenance on equipment and electricity the picking alone cost $4.50 today green bean traded at $1.38 a pound (not Kona). Maui paid $5.00 an hour plus $1.00 per pound last year because there is no workers on their island and we will probably pay that this year. Do the math

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
here's some food for thought.....last year the going rate for pickers (and all they did was pick nothing else) was .75 a pound, now as Im sure you know it takes about 6 pounds of cherry to make 1 pound of green bean, at that rate not including the labor of pulping and drying, the maintenance on equipment and electricity the picking alone cost $4.50 today green bean traded at $1.38 a pound (not Kona). Maui paid $5.00 an hour plus $1.00 per pound last year because there is no workers on their island and we will probably pay that this year. Do the math
Yes, we all know about this. As I said, extremely expensive coffee! Also I understand that the processing and handling of coffee bean are better & cleaner than other 3rd world coffee producing countries. However, when the cupping profile / taste of coffee are considered, Kona coffee does not come close to other better coffee producing countries, Such as Ethiopia, Kenya, Guatemala, Colombia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Indonesia..etc in this order. So, for price to quality ratio, Kona is one of the worst coffee ratio in the world. (but still better than JBM in Jamaica, Luwak in Indonesia, Black Ivory coffee in Thailand)

Mongoose

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
interesting that you blocked my last comment I thought this was a forum, there was nothing offensive in my comments as per your rules very disappointing!

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
interesting that you blocked my last comment I thought this was a forum, there was nothing offensive in my comments as per your rules very disappointing!
I blocked your last comment? I do not understand. I do not have the authority nor pass to block anyone's comment. I am just a member, not moderator in this form.

BTW, I got nothing against Kona coffee (who would?!). I am just stating my personal comment. Which is "kona coffee is one of the worst "quality vs price" ratio coffee in the world". If I have a choice to buy between Finest Kona Coffee at $32 plus shipping or fine Ethiopian Yirga at $16, 100% I will choose Yirga because it is better coffee with better cupping profile and flavors.

Again, I am sure that there are some other people who prefers Kona over Yirga.
Everyone is different!

Last edited:

Mongoose

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
Just to make things clear I am the Owner of Mongoose Mountain farm, and yes we offer K-cups we make them right here on our farm small batch so they are very fresh, and yes I am trying to get funding to purchase the machine to make disposable pour overs with 100% Kona coffee and if I do they will be very fresh too. We do all the work right here on our 12 acre farm.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Just to make things clear I am the Owner of Mongoose Mountain farm, and yes we offer K-cups we make them right here on our farm small batch so they are very fresh, and yes I am trying to get funding to purchase the machine to make disposable pour overs with 100% Kona coffee and if I do they will be very fresh too. We do all the work right here on our 12 acre farm.
so you produce about 20,000 to 25,000 pounds of Kona coffee.... and BTW, I already knew that you are the owner of Mongoose farm.

And about K-cup, if that brings you some decent income, kudos to you.

But if you ask me, putting real 100% kona ground coffee into K-Cup is not really worth it. Not for you, but for the consumers to buy it.
But yet again, if the consumers are willing to pay the Kona K-Cup and enjoy it, I got no problem with it. (and why would I?!)

I am just saying as personal comment that 100% Kona K-Cup like putting Ferrari car engine into a tuk tuk in Guatemala and paying the Ferrari engine price!

PS : in case you do not know what tuk tuk is, below is the photo :+)
tuk_tuk_man.JPG

Last edited:

Mongoose

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
the reason I make 100% Kona coffee K-cups is there are a lot of imitators and 10% Kona's out there and I wanted to give a true 100% Kona option to people just like the disposable pour overs