Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DLRuth View Post
    That was the main reason I started roasting. We were spending way to much money on coffee.
    Just curious. what do you use for roasting? do you have a small roaster at home?

I'd say about $400/yr on green beans only. After starting home roasting a ways back all other coffee purchases ended except a rare purchase of an item I'm interested to try from a roaster whose practices and products I know- which are darn few because stuff like Coffee Reviews is worthless to me for identifying stuff of interest. To get on my list of "worth trying" needs either personal experience by me or a solid recommendation from one of a few friends whose tastes I know and trust. Cute marketing names and weird blends count nothing and because few clearly ID roast levels and "roasted on" dates, it cuts them out. Chance of me walking into a SB is zero so no $ there.
    Other coffee related $ are maintenance supplies and disposables costs for equipment, minor equipment additions like a moka pot or larger French press, etc...No big bucks there.

What I spend allows us to drink some of the worlds great coffees, always fresh, at a cost affordable to anyone who wants to learn and invest a bit of effort. (Wish I could so easily and cheaply drink the world's best wines!)

FWIW, the reason I roast is precisely the same that I've home brewed for many years- it allows me to have exactly what I want when I want it. For example, my signature brew is a dunkelweisen with a specific "high amyl" yeast profile brewed to 6.5% ABV. Its mine and there is no commercial equivalent so there's no way to have it except to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post
    Just curious. what do you use for roasting? do you have a small roaster at home?
    I just use a Whirly Pop Popcorn popper, been doing it like for about a year and a half. That is how I started and has been working pretty well, the only issue is having to turn the crank for the whole roasting process but I don't mind it. We are kind of looking into getting a small (3 or 5 pound) roaster from like Millcity or B.C. Roasters, the money just isn't there yet but it is on our list.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DLRuth View Post
    I just use a Whirly Pop Popcorn popper, been doing it like for about a year and a half. That is how I started and has been working pretty well, the only issue is having to turn the crank for the whole roasting process but I don't mind it. We are kind of looking into getting a small (3 or 5 pound) roaster from like Millcity or B.C. Roasters, the money just isn't there yet but it is on our list.
    for home use, popcorn popper is just fine! :+) even 3 or 5lb roaster, it is a lot of money for a home roaster.

for home use, popcorn popper is just fine! :+) even 3 or 5lb roaster, it is a lot of money for a home roaster.
    Hm.. now I'm really thinking about this.. I think I'll just consume for a bit longer before I make that leap into actual roasting. lol
    "There's coffee in that nebula."- Katherine Janeway

It is a lot for a home roaster but hey, I'll be the coolest kid on the block If I was to actually get one I would probably do some selling, on a very small scale like to family and people at work.

Personal use maybe $400 per year. That's including my wife and anyone that visits our home. For the company... well, a lot is projected. I'll update around December time.

I'd say up to 500 /year

Quote Originally Posted by Duffyjr View Post
    Not including equipment, but just coffee, whether you're buying beans, Starbucking it or both.

Right now if I keep up what I have been doing the last few months it looks like I'll spend about $500 a year. A 12oz bag has been lasting me about 16 days.

Lets just say I've spent more on less!
    So it's been a year since I decided to buy only fresh coffee with a roasted on date. Last April I started the thread and at that time I figured I would spend about $500. I just figured it up since it's the end January and exactly 1 year and I spent $666.02. So quite a bit more than I thought. Don't forget this includes shipping since I buy all my coffee online.

I drink the coffee at work 5 days a week, but I bring in my own half and half. Plus what I get on weekends, I think I figured out that I average around $15-20 per month on coffee costs including filters and such.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links