How much to you spend on coffee?

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Not including equipment, but just coffee, whether you're buying beans, Starbucking it or both.

Right now if I keep up what I have been doing the last few months it looks like I'll spend about $500 a year. A 12oz bag has been lasting me about 16 days.

Lets just say I've spent more on less!

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Not including equipment, but just coffee, whether you're buying beans, Starbucking it or both.
Right now if I keep up what I have been doing the last few months it looks like I'll spend about $500 a year. A 12oz bag has been lasting me about 16 days.
Lets just say I've spent more on less!
let see.... I spend about $200 for buying coffee from forum members a year. (mainly for my wife's use while I am traveling). then, personally, probably I use $70 per month at coffee shop when I am in LA. When I travel... about $50 per month. So annually, $780 per year.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
For espresso only (for myself and family members) I average roasting/consuming about 7.5-8# of green coffee monthly, so that equals around $55. Can vary slightly based on the blends I get from Sweet Maria's. A 19 gram double costs me around .32 on average, so I'm saving a ton by roasting/extracting at home. Most places I've been in charge $1.75-2.50 per double and most have been disappointing to say the least. I've been in the business and understand the cost of goods, equipment, operating cost, insurance, etc., but no way should a double shot be 6x more.

Last edited:

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
I do not want to calculate, or admit to, the amount I spend annually on coffee, but I buy 75 to 90 pounds of freshly roasted specialty coffee each year. That is for my wife and me. I also keep a coffeeholic daughter in the same coffee.

DLRuth

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Between my wife and I we do about 2 pounds a week at an average of 5-6 dollars a pound so maybe a bit under 600. So I guess I'm not doing to bad...compared to some :)

LoveCoffeeLife

Jan 29, 2017
South Eastern USA
Visit site
Let's see, cost? The cost of coffee for me varies right now because I'm trying different types but it's not uncommon for me to pay about $6-$14 bucks for about 10-12 oz of coffee every two weeks. On occasion I've spent upwards of $20 dollars on a 1/2 pound that was for a Jamaican blue mountain. From time to time I fast from coffee so I don't consistently buy like that all year round.

DLRuth

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
"An average of $5 to $6 a pound of coffee"???? where do you get them? and what kind of coffee?
I would usually get them from sweet marias or mr. greenbeans, plus other various green bean sites; I try to look for sales. that has just been average and may be a bit on the low side, there have been plenty of times I would spend more than that.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I would usually get them from sweet marias or mr. greenbeans, plus other various green bean sites; I try to look for sales. that has just been average and may be a bit on the low side, there have been plenty of times I would spend more than that.
Sorry, I thought that you were buying "roasted beans" at $5 ?! LOL. for Green beans, yes, $5 to $6 is very reasonable.

racer7

Apr 7, 2017
Visit site
I'd say about $400/yr on green beans only. After starting home roasting a ways back all other coffee purchases ended except a rare purchase of an item I'm interested to try from a roaster whose practices and products I know- which are darn few because stuff like Coffee Reviews is worthless to me for identifying stuff of interest. To get on my list of "worth trying" needs either personal experience by me or a solid recommendation from one of a few friends whose tastes I know and trust. Cute marketing names and weird blends count nothing and because few clearly ID roast levels and "roasted on" dates, it cuts them out. Chance of me walking into a SB is zero so no $ there.
Other coffee related $ are maintenance supplies and disposables costs for equipment, minor equipment additions like a moka pot or larger French press, etc...No big bucks there.

What I spend allows us to drink some of the worlds great coffees, always fresh, at a cost affordable to anyone who wants to learn and invest a bit of effort. (Wish I could so easily and cheaply drink the world's best wines!)

FWIW, the reason I roast is precisely the same that I've home brewed for many years- it allows me to have exactly what I want when I want it. For example, my signature brew is a dunkelweisen with a specific "high amyl" yeast profile brewed to 6.5% ABV. Its mine and there is no commercial equivalent so there's no way to have it except to make it.

DLRuth

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Just curious. what do you use for roasting? do you have a small roaster at home?
I just use a Whirly Pop Popcorn popper, been doing it like for about a year and a half. That is how I started and has been working pretty well, the only issue is having to turn the crank for the whole roasting process but I don't mind it. We are kind of looking into getting a small (3 or 5 pound) roaster from like Millcity or B.C. Roasters, the money just isn't there yet but it is on our list.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I just use a Whirly Pop Popcorn popper, been doing it like for about a year and a half. That is how I started and has been working pretty well, the only issue is having to turn the crank for the whole roasting process but I don't mind it. We are kind of looking into getting a small (3 or 5 pound) roaster from like Millcity or B.C. Roasters, the money just isn't there yet but it is on our list.
for home use, popcorn popper is just fine! :+) even 3 or 5lb roaster, it is a lot of money for a home roaster.

DLRuth

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
for home use, popcorn popper is just fine! :+) even 3 or 5lb roaster, it is a lot of money for a home roaster.
It is a lot for a home roaster but hey, I'll be the coolest kid on the block :) If I was to actually get one I would probably do some selling, on a very small scale like to family and people at work.