Biodegradable/Compostable Coffee Bags

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hey guys,

I would like to know if you have experience with coffees packed in biodegradable or compostable bags?

Do you know if they maintain properly the quality of the beans?

Greets Mattia ;)
This is NEW! I have not heard about "biodegradable coffee bag" since I joined this forum.
so, I researched it. (thanks for making me study and research!)

One of the companies that sells this type of bags claims :

• kraft stand-up pouches
  • paper coffee bags with high barrier liners
  • high barrier polypropylene bags
  • Optional: resealable pouches, zipper bags and off-gasing valve
  • Perfect for organic, artisanal and fair trade Coffee companies that want to eliminate plastic pollution and increase sustainability.
  • Functional - offering the same high barrier protection as traditional coffee packaging
  • Biodegradable - once placed in the presence of microbes, including regular garden soil, the forest floor or even out in an Ocean, they will degrade into organic nutrients with no harmful by-products. We believe that this is the most viable 'earth friendly' food packaging solution on the market today.
  • Affordable - they are within the same price range as regular plastic pouches.

Personally, as I see it, it sounds great, specially, "affordable", same price range as regular bags and also "earth friendly".
we (our company in Guatemala) never used it and probably we can not even get them there and no one will really care about this in Guatemala (someday, I hope they will), but it might be a good thing to do in 1st world countries. (I think that Costa Rica is also belong to 1st world country?!. It is the one of the best country (financially & infrastructure wise) in all Latin countries for sure)

By the way, to answer your question, I am very certain that it will maintain the quality of the beans in this type of bags!

PS: San Jose is one of my favorite cities among all the Latin countries. But I have not been there for over... 7 years! Perhaps i should visit again. I always stayed at "Gran Hotel" in downtown, but my favorite hangout place at night was "hotel del rey".. ha ha ha. i hope those hotels are still there.....

Mattia

Hola ensoluna,

thanks for your comment. I will try these kind of coffee bags and I'll send you my experience. By now, I've seen only one company using these kind of bags. But unfortunately they don't promote it so that I don't believe that many people know that they have a biodegradable bag in their hands.

I think that in Costa Rica the awareness about more "sustainable" waste in general is growing. Let's see what happens.

Saludos y Pura Vida

P.S.: I'll definetly have to go to Guatemala, some people already recommended me to visit the country and the coffee plantations there. ;)

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hola ensoluna,

thanks for your comment. I will try these kind of coffee bags and I'll send you my experience. By now, I've seen only one company using these kind of bags. But unfortunately they don't promote it so that I don't believe that many people know that they have a biodegradable bag in their hands.

I think that in Costa Rica the awareness about more "sustainable" waste in general is growing. Let's see what happens.

Saludos y Pura Vida

P.S.: I'll definetly have to go to Guatemala, some people already recommended me to visit the country and the coffee plantations there. ;)
yes. please come to Guatemala. normally, I will be in Guatemala from Feb to end march, harvest season. also I am in July. so if we can make the time work, I can be there to show you around our coffee farms and company. Pura Vida, Mattia!!!