What are the important rules for a coffee shop, specially Specialty coffee shop?

This subject was brought up quite a bit in many different ways, but to me, it is so important for a new business owner who is about to open his very first coffee shop, specially if he/she is going to open a Specialty one, then, it becomes imperative.

Consistency + Service + Quality

Quality means good coffee (fresh coffee, well roasted and brewed), but also it means hygiene & cleanliness.
    Also consistency & service create regulars and in order to be successful, creating regular customers is the key.

if anyone would like to add some other points, please let us know.

I think this thread answers your "passion" thread. I believe in giving the customer what they want in their coffee. Sugar,dairy flavors whatever. It still comes down to survival. The shop has to make money. Consistency: the product must be the same every time it is brewed/made. Quality will make or break the shop. Purchasing cheap beans or paying more to get the best cup. There is a big difference in additives such as dairy and sweeteners. Cream/milk from the supermarket vs farm fresh. White processed sugar or raw sugar, Monk Fruit sweetener, raw honey. You will pay more but it brings the shop up several notches. Shop should always be spotless. Don't lecture customers on how they should drink coffee. You wouldn't want a chef coming to your table and refusing to prepare a well done steak when only a medium rare is acceptable. But some coffee shops refuse to add dairy and sweeteners. Worse yet shops that refuse to pour an espresso in a to go cup. Certain areas you could pull off a coffee snob cafe and make a living. Most areas not.
    Charlie
    If you are afraid of failure or losing money, quit while you are ahead

Quote Originally Posted by chast View Post
    I think this thread answers your "passion" thread. I believe in giving the customer what they want in their coffee. Sugar,dairy flavors whatever. It still comes down to survival. The shop has to make money. Consistency: the product must be the same every time it is brewed/made. Quality will make or break the shop. Purchasing cheap beans or paying more to get the best cup. There is a big difference in additives such as dairy and sweeteners. Cream/milk from the supermarket vs farm fresh. White processed sugar or raw sugar, Monk Fruit sweetener, raw honey. You will pay more but it brings the shop up several notches. Shop should always be spotless. Don't lecture customers on how they should drink coffee. You wouldn't want a chef coming to your table and refusing to prepare a well done steak when only a medium rare is acceptable. But some coffee shops refuse to add dairy and sweeteners. Worse yet shops that refuse to pour an espresso in a to go cup. Certain areas you could pull off a coffee snob cafe and make a living. Most areas not.
    excellent points, thanks Charlie

To quote from my December 2013 column in Specialty Coffee Retailer,

"Have principles and stick to them." The moment you change your principles in order to make a sale or appease a customer is the moment you have no principles. It is the ability to clearly articulate your principles, to be honest with your customers, and take pride in what you do that will show your character, reveal your integrity, and set you apart. Your quality will define what you do, and your principles will define who you are.
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    twitter.com/caffedbolla

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links