ground too fine, choking machine, any hacks?

cheekujodhpur

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I had had bought a large amount of coffee, but there was some issue with the order and it is much finer than I had demanded. This is choking my machine, as the grind coagulates and blocks the portafilter pores.

The shop is refusing responsibility so I am stuck with it. My current hack is to press the grind very lightly, and the water pressure takes care of the rest. The output tastes softer but has as good crema as before.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Do you know any better hacks to resolve this situation?

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
Best thing is to have your own espresso grinder because otherwise you are using stale coffee for each shot! For now, use less coffee and tamp gently. If you can increase the duration of your pre-infusion that will also help.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I had had bought a large amount of coffee, but there was some issue with the order and it is much finer than I had demanded. This is choking my machine, as the grind coagulates and blocks the portafilter pores.

The shop is refusing responsibility so I am stuck with it. My current hack is to press the grind very lightly, and the water pressure takes care of the rest. The output tastes softer but has as good crema as before.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Do you know any better hacks to resolve this situation?

I used what I had available, Since I had it on the shelf, I added preground Bustello Espresso grind to the too fine ground.