Chemex Carafe alternative?

NinHao

Aug 14, 2017
Germany
Visit site
Hey,
I was thinking about buying a Chemex because I wanted to upgrade my coffee experience. Up until now I only used the Hario v60. When I went to the supermarket, I saw a carafe, similar to the usual Chemex. Is it possible to use something that is shaped like a Chemex as a brewer as long as you use the Chemex filters?

NinHao

Aug 14, 2017
Germany
Visit site
Thanks for the answer :D Unfortunately, I can't compare the Chemex with a Chemex "fake" since I don't know anoyone with a real one and don't plan on spending 80€. Cool that it works though!
And yeah I am a half Chinese but cant speak chinese at all :(. Actually thought that Ni Hao Ma means "How are you" and Nin Hao is just the polite version of Hello. I wanted to go with Ni Hao but it's always used on other platforms so I switched to NinHao instead lol

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Thanks for the answer :D Unfortunately, I can't compare the Chemex with a Chemex "fake" since I don't know anoyone with a real one and don't plan on spending 80€. Cool that it works though!

Does your "fake" Chemex have a name or can you post a picture, just curious.

I am also interested in where you live in Germany, I was stationed in Bamberg from 1979 to 1981.

NinHao

Aug 14, 2017
Germany
Visit site
where in Germany do you live? and how is specialty coffee market in your city or town? we would appreciate it if you can tell us more about your coffee experience..etc.
thanks

I live in North rine westphalia. Unfortunately, I don't really know about the coffee market here :( sorry. Of course, I visited some shops to buy beans and coffee but I never saw anyone using a Chemex or other pour over methods. Up until now I didn't really pay a lot of attention towards the coffee market around me.

NinHao

Aug 14, 2017
Germany
Visit site
Does your "fake" Chemex have a name or can you post a picture, just curious.

I am also interested in where you live in Germany, I was stationed in Bamberg from 1979 to 1981.

It is not really a fake Chemex. Actually, it is a vase or carafe in which you put flowers or regular water. It was just a little bit shaped like a Chemex. I havent bought it yet and was just interested if it would really work. I can look up a picture on the internet. carafe-ypsilon-1-2-litre-publicitaire-personnalisable-0082718.jpg
The one I found was similar to that in the picture. Of course the upper part is not as broad as the Chemex so the filter would not really fit. Maybe in the future I will find a good alternative.

NinHao

Aug 14, 2017
Germany
Visit site
thanks for info. then, what made you join coffee forums? by the way, no matter what, we are glad to have you here.

I was looking for a place to ask questions like the one above since I dont really have anyone with knowledge about coffee. Glad that I got some replies here.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
It is not really a fake Chemex. Actually, it is a vase or carafe in which you put flowers or regular water. It was just a little bit shaped like a Chemex. I havent bought it yet and was just interested if it would really work. I can look up a picture on the internet.View attachment 8152
The one I found was similar to that in the picture. Of course the upper part is not as broad as the Chemex so the filter would not really fit. Maybe in the future I will find a good alternative.

Not sure the neck is small enough on something like that to keep the filter in place. If you are interested in getting into pour over there are other ways that don't use a carafe, you just brew right into your cup. Here is what I use at work but there a ton of other pour overs that are similar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014CVEH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Filters that work with this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AX88K8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For not much money you can give it a try to see if you like it.