Large Quantity Cold Brew Coffee Maker

argudbrandson

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Greetings Fellow Coffee Folk,

I am looking to buy a 5 gallon cold brew maker from Keg Outlet. The idea behind this piece of equipment is that it eliminates the need for a mesh filter and in essence should be a simple and sanitary(!) way to make a lot of cold brew. I was hoping some of you had heard anything about this contraption and if so, is it worth the investment?

Any other her suggestions on how to make a large quantity of cold brew?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I have the 15 gallon unit... its perfect for 2 x 5 gallon kegs of cold brew. The only down side to the larger unit is weight... once you load up 12-13 gallons of water + coffee you are quickly at 100lbs of dead weight. And my local health dept requires cold brew to be made in the refrigerator so keep that in mind when considering space.

argudbrandson

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, does the metal mesh screen inside the unit add a metallic taste to the coffee or is the product pretty clean? I'd imagine it wouldn't add much of a taste at all after washing it once or twice....Also, are you guys using a Keg Outlet Cold Brew Maker?

Thanks for the input!

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
The metal screen filter is SS so no problem and you can choose between 35u or 50u.

And BTW Topher, they make a 50gal version. Of course it would be easy to buy a wine tank of any size you want but the problem i see is the filtration of small volume. For large volume, filtration is not a problem but i am far from making many thousand liter per batch!