For a person who have French Press, what should be the next brewing method?

Miriel

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone,

For a person who have French Press and starter manual grinder, what should be the next brewing method? Most importantly, why do you think it should be the next step?

Thank you.

Miriel

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
welcome, Miriel.
there is nothing set in a stone that you should learn each method step by step or one by one.

however, I believe that FP is one of the easiest one to prepare.
so, probably next one would be AeroPress?! (just my personal opinion).
then, Chemex/V-60 which is bit more complicated in making coffee. And needs bit more skill than FP or AP which are quite easy to do.

One of the most important factors of these methods is "ground size", so please be careful about this.

thanks and good luck.
Thank you:coffee:

About Aeropress; I am worried about plastic. I know it is free from some of bad chemicals but it is still plastic. So I am not sure about that.

About Chemex/V60; I am considering V60 but I know it requires more skill, still researching it. It ends up with more clear coffee than french press, right?

Actually, I am happy with French Press and my main reason is to spice it up my coffee experience.

Miriel

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
AeroPress is awesome. that is my go-to coffee every morning, twice early morning.
for Chemex/V60, it is super clean coffee that brings out all the delicate flavors ... as long as you use very good SOC and freshly roasted beans.

for me, French Press is okay, but not really suitable for tasting a really great coffee.
I will try James Hoffman's French Press method, maybe I can get great coffee with that method.

What is SOC? How much practice do I need to make great coffee with Chemex/V60?

Miriel

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
SOC = single origin coffee. you can research about SOC and what it is.

however, just simply put, the coffee from Huehuetenango, Guatemala is really different than Mysore, India. and Mysore India coffee is really different than Kanya AA coffee. Every region's great coffee has its own flavors. Chemex/V60 really brings out all different, awesome flavors of SOC.

it does not take too long to learn the chemex..etc. relatively it is very simple to follow.
it is not like roasting, cupping...etc.
Thank you.:coffee:

I understood, I know single origin coffee. I have tried some of them but it is always from South America and never tried Africa coffees.

Maybe I will prefer V60 rather than Chemex because Chemex is more expensive in my country and I read that it is more suitable for larger amounts?

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Go with the AeroPress next -- this will give you a wider range of taste than going from a French Press to a Chemex or something akin to that. The AeroPressed coffee will be lots different than the other two which will be much closer to each other in taste. And remember, you can use a standard grind in the AeroPress but it is much better, to me, with an espresso grind.