Species, Variety, Varietal, Cultivar... what are the meaning?

Probably, very very few people knows or cares about these words. because they are mostly used in coffee origin countries and specially among coffee exporters like myself.

However, it is another coffee knowledge better knowing than not knowing.

so, here it goes....

Species : there are 3 main coffee species, Arabica, Robusta & Liberica. (Excelsa is another species, but hardly anyone mentions it) ALL coffees around the world fall into this 3 (or 4) species.

Variety : refer to different variations within the species. ex. Bourbon is a variety of Arabica & Nganda is a variety of Robusta.

Cultivar : a coffee variety THAT HAS BEEN CREATED BY HUMANS in an agricultural setting. Catimor (hybrid between Caturra & Timor) which is man-made is a Cultivar. There are tons of them. We have been creating new cultivars almost every year, mainly to increase production, to be resistant to coffee diseases...etc.

Finally, Variety is a noun and Varietal is an adjective. But even though Varietal is an adjective, now, people has been using this "adjective" as a "noun" when discussing the coffee products.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Nice! I did not know there were other species beside Arabica & Robusta have you tried Liberica or Excelsa?

Quote Originally Posted by PanamaPlx View Post
    Nice! I did not know there were other species beside Arabica & Robusta have you tried Liberica or Excelsa?
    Liberica, Never. but Excelsa, yes, in Medellin in Colombia. thanks PanamaPlx
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

What did you think, was it good for drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by PanamaPlx View Post
    What did you think, was it good for drinking?
    Honestly, I do not remember. that was about 8 years ago.... :+) also, you have to realize that when you buy and drink coffee in coffee origin countries, the actual coffee bean quality is not as good as USA or any other coffee "importing" countries (mostly 1st world countries).

since I am a green bean exporter, let me explain to you very briefly.

when I export from Guatemala, all the coffee beans must be processed in a milling company, sorting, separating the bad beans, defective beans, polishing the beans...etc to meet export standard. as example, if I bring in 100 lbs of green beans, about 5 beans will be rejected and discarded. In that 5 beans, there will be quakers, small rocks, un-ripped beans which will cause major cupping problems.

HOWEVER,

In coffee shops in those coffee origin countries, like Guatemala, Colombia, Panama, Ethiopia...etc, they will just use the normal coffee beans WITHOUT GOING THRU this kind of milling process. So, if you cup, their cupping scores will always come out much less than same coffee beans from coffee importing countries.

if you have any other questions about this, just let me know.
    thanks
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links