The Ideal?

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Basic stuff, is it correct that for espresso, you use 1 tablespoon grind and extract 1 ounce of fluid? ( saying ; a shot, is too vague! typical shot glasses are a jigger or 1.5 once.)

~Michael

Last edited:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Since I started espresso 9-10 years ago I have never bothered with time/volume/ratios. If you're a stickler for 'Italian rules' or need to rely on that to get you in the ballpark then have at it. Once the puck has given up all the good it has to offer that's it regardless of what you end up with.

The only thing I have ever weighed/measured is my dose and rely on taste, texture, color, flow to determine changes needed. I understand not everybody is that in tune with the equipment/process, but I have been for years. Some people seem to think you must chase numbers to get things right and maybe some can't figure it out any other way. I like to keep espresso what it is... skill, art form and scientific.

Same approach I take with home roasting... some like to use software to track/control the process, but not me. I take a seat-of-the-pants approach with every batch and watch/control it with an eagle eye. The end result speaks for itself time and time again. Have done well over 200 batches in 1.5 years now and plan to never buy roasted coffee again.

Last edited:

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Since I started espresso 9-10 years ago I have never bothered with time/volume/ratios. If you're a stickler for 'Italian rules' or need to rely on that to get you in the ballpark then have at it. Once the puck has given up all the good it has to offer that's it regardless of what you end up with.

The only thing I have ever weighed/measured is my dose and rely on taste, texture, color, flow to determine changes needed. I understand not everybody is that in tune with the equipment/process, but I have been for years. Some people seem to think you must chase numbers to get things right and maybe some can't figure it out any other way. I like to keep espresso what it is... skill, art form and scientific.

Same approach I take with home roasting... some like to use software to track/control the process, but not me. I take a seat-of-the-pants approach with every batch and watch/control it with an eagle eye. The end result speaks for itself time and time again. Have done well over 200 batches in 1.5 years now and plan to never buy roasted coffee again.

Hi, I'm looking to do a proper Cappuccino, and so far I see using about 3oz milk and 1 to 2 shots or ounces of espresso. Big I have always wondered if many don't understand that a shot in USA is a liquor measure and the typical shot glass is a jigger or 1.5 ounce, it seems it might be confusing some and when I use a tablespoon in my single basket it seems like a true ounce is wasting what's loaded.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I agree with that as I don't like to say 'shot' either and prefer to call it a double extraction. Never bothered with singles as they're more trouble than they're worth, requiring a finer grind, more attention to distribution/very even/level tamping, etc. due to the difference in basket design/taper. In that case I'd recommend just pulling the double a bit short. Of course some will claim that leads to an unbalanced extraction, but who cares, lmao?!? I always go against the grain on everything as it keeps things interesting. I have never cared what the next guy does to begin with.

Regarding your dose/basket... it's best to use a maximum amount in the basket while having a bit of headspace, which varies with machines. Trying to use less of a dose to save coffee, make the extraction weaker, etc. tends to throw things off quite a bit.

Main thing with a traditional cappuccino is getting the milk aerated/textured. Some like thick wet foam, some like it very dry...

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I agree with that as I don't like to say 'shot' either and prefer to call it a double extraction. Never bothered with singles as they're more trouble than they're worth, requiring a finer grind, more attention to distribution/very even/level tamping, etc. due to the difference in basket design/taper. In that case I'd recommend just pulling the double a bit short. Of course some will claim that leads to an unbalanced extraction, but who cares, lmao?!? I always go against the grain on everything as it keeps things interesting. I have never cared what the next guy does to begin with.

Regarding your dose/basket... it's best to use a maximum amount in the basket while having a bit of headspace, which varies with machines. Trying to use less of a dose to save coffee, make the extraction weaker, etc. tends to throw things off quite a bit.

Main thing with a traditional cappuccino is getting the milk aerated/textured. Some like thick wet foam, some like it very dry...

It works out quite well, that my single basket takes 1TBSP regardless of whether I measure it or over fill and level off, same goes for the double basket. I agree that it seems a waste to do a single, which is what got me started on this post. I'm trying to limit my caffeine and whole milk consumption to two cappuccino's per day. I make one first thing in AM and then make another to take to work for later in the day. When making a standard cup of coffee (which I assume is a 6oz cup) many pregrind brands of drip coffee say use 1 TBSP. It just seems to me that 1 TBSP has more life in it then running for 1 oz.?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Depends on how the coffee is ground of course... typical rule of thumb is the longer the contact time with the water the coarser the grind. The only exception to that would be Turkish, but you won't care about overextracting it when so much sugar is used to offset that. For espresso if I had to guess as I don't measure or weigh the extraction my average double is maybe 1.5 oz. and that is going through an average dose of 18.8 grams in likely 35-40 seconds. I like tighter, more ristretto-like extractions... very thick/syrupy/silky and quite pungent. Some like lungos where they may run between 2.5-3 oz. through a double basket. That would be too diluted/pale for me, but taste is subjective. I have read of some running 6 or more oz. through a double basket and loving it... Whatever works for you is all that matters.