how to preserve that coffee smell in the cup

Dear Coffee Forum friends;

I have a conundrum that has popped up in the last few months regarding my coffee. I used to use a cheap 20$ Mr. Coffee drip brewer that gave me basic but still very aromatic coffee on a daily basis. My husband bought a larger coffee maker with a timer to have coffee ready to go in the morning and I noticed the coffee completely lost it's lovely aroma in the cup - it smelled great while brewing and the grounds themselves still smelled wonderful. The strange part is I went back to my old Mr. Coffee and the issue continued - no lovely smell in the cup! I have bought a french press and it sometimes makes mildly aromatic coffee but nothing like I had before. I haven't changed anything else, I used filtered water, same brand of coffee, grind it at home in batches (intelligentsia, locally roasted in philly! totally divine smell). I almost think my sense of smell changed but the coffee in the bag still smells great to me! I would love to hear anyone's tips for how to preserve the aroma of coffee during the brewing process!

thanks!
    Karen.

Quote Originally Posted by kkdcalgary View Post

I have a conundrum that has popped up in the last few months regarding my coffee. I used to use a cheap 20$ Mr. Coffee drip brewer that gave me basic but still very aromatic coffee on a daily basis. My husband bought a larger coffee maker with a timer to have coffee ready to go in the morning and I noticed the coffee completely lost it's lovely aroma in the cup - it smelled great while brewing and the grounds themselves still smelled wonderful. The strange part is I went back to my old Mr. Coffee and the issue continued - no lovely smell in the cup! I have bought a french press and it sometimes makes mildly aromatic coffee but nothing like I had before. I haven't changed anything else, I used filtered water, same brand of coffee, grind it at home in batches (intelligentsia, locally roasted in philly! totally divine smell). I almost think my sense of smell changed but the coffee in the bag still smells great to me! I would love to hear anyone's tips for how to preserve the aroma of coffee during the brewing process!

thanks!
    Karen.
    Maybe your Mr. Coffee is not working as good as it was before and is not getting the water as hot which could be under extracting and making a weaker cup which would have less aroma. Have you tried cleaning it with vinegar or a dedicated coffee brewer cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by Duffyjr View Post
    Maybe your Mr. Coffee is not working as good as it was before and is not getting the water as hot which could be under extracting and making a weaker cup which would have less aroma. Have you tried cleaning it with vinegar or a dedicated coffee brewer cleaner?
    yeah, that could be it.. also, maybe you can try "pour over" method and see whether there is problem with your coffee or not. welcome to forum Karen.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Quote Originally Posted by kkdcalgary View Post

thanks!
    Karen.
    I heard that Intelligensia's coffee is pretty good. Never tried though... anyway, just curious, when you buy the coffee, does it have "roasted date" printed on the bag?
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Good point Alex on the roasted on date which got me thinking, about six months ago I ordered some beans from a roast to order place that was really good (per my notes I keep) so I ordered some more a couple weeks ago but it wasn't as good as I remember (didn't live up to my notes), it was still good but not sure I would order again. Since none of my other variables changed it had to be the coffee or all in my head I guess.

Could it be the green bean stock they are using is getting old and past it's prime?

Quote Originally Posted by Duffyjr View Post
    Good point Alex Could it be the green bean stock they are using is getting old and past it's prime?
    Yes, could be very possible. a lot of not-so-honest roasters use old beans (after 15 month) hoping that consumers will not notice...
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links