Changing my gear, have question.

Rondo

Dec 12, 2017
Oregon
Visit site
Greetings coffee peeps. This is my first post here and I have a question regarding brewing ratios.

For years I've been using a Bunn machine (10 cup NHS) and I really like it. Found my preferred roast in whole beans, experimented with different grinds and determined that for me, 28 grams of properly ground coffee in the full 10 cup carafe made the perfect cup. Yum.

Now I'm changing things up. Just purchased a 44oz Frieling French Press (the brown truck guy has it right now) and I'm beginning to wonder about grind and ratio.

When researching French press brewing ratios on this interweb thingy, the recommended 10 to 1 ratio works out to 118 grams of coffee for 40oz of water. What?

According to Bunn, the 10 cup carafe I've been using is 50oz. I've been enjoying my coffee brewed in 50oz batches using 28 grams of coffee. Over 100 grams for 40oz sure seems a bit excessive, something must be wrong here.

So, after all that, my question: Does a French Press typically use more coffee that a drip machine?

Thanks!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
The standard ratio for drip brewing is typically 16:1 ... so for a 50oz batch I would typically use something around 85g of coffee. I typically use a 12:1 ratio for french press. So - yes, FP usually does consumer more coffee. You will grind it coarser which is why it requires a bit more coffee.