What's your fave?

icasanova99

Dec 27, 2017
Visit site
I love Light roast coffee. But I’ve heard countless times people declaring to only drink dark roasts because they have higher levels of caffeine.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Dark roast or Light roast coffee?

Actually the darker you roast you start decreasing 3 things... caffeine, weight and coffee notes. You start picking up more roast notes, which gives people the sense the coffee is stronger, when in fact caffeine is burning off and as the coffee gets darker you lose density/weight. I don't think the caffeine loss is drastic, but noticeable. I home roast and have used the same coffees roasted at different levels, then used the same way (espresso) and I definitely noticed the lighter roast levels having a bit more punch.

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Seems like I mostly order/like medium roasts but have had a few light roasted beans that were very good. I don't order Dark roasted anymore, every time I do I don't like them and end up using them to make coffee for the wife.

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
Medium/Light unless Espresso of course. I feel the darker the roast the more char/burn taste you pick up which in turn masks whatever characteristics of that specific coffee have or in some cases lack which is a good thing only sometimes. Cupping roasts are lighter for a reason.

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
hi joe. it seems like you know a lot about espresso cafe.

just wondering that, as I know, espresso is not related to coffee varieties nor type of coffee roast. Many believes that espresso is a strong family member of coffee, but I do not think that roast or bean itself has anything to do with it.
As I know, whether you use light, medium or dark roasted beans, they can be a delicious cup of espresso when made right.

what do you think?
thanks Joe.

Agreed, espresso is not a coffee type or a roast profile BUT with that said I have almost always had a shot of espresso pulled from a well to high roasted bean. In my personal life/experience I have never consumed an espresso shot ground from a light roast bean. Wish I was a barista or had a la marzocco to experiment. Espresso is just the pressure usually 7-10 bar which in turn creates the crema and on a good machine I am told that is a result of an 18-30 second pull from a perfectly ground espresso blend.

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
Jabez Burns Sample Roaster
JB&S.png